PDA

View Full Version : What’s safer: 2 bucket method or power washer?

Pages : [1] 2 3

David Fermani
05-18-2011, 10:51 AM
On terms of being least evasive and eliminating swirls. I’m all for using a power washer to strip the loose abrasive material off the surface prior to hand washing. That way you’re touching a surface that only has oily road film with is MUCH less abrasive. When you use solely the 2BM you’re still grinding in dirt into the surface. Even if you’re pre-rinsing with a garden hose which does very little.

imported_bigfoot
05-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Agree with this statement!

cptzippy
05-18-2011, 11:06 AM
HIJAK!!! :tinfoil3:

I`d like to throw in ONR (and maybe waterless). At first I thought it was crazy that ONR could be minimally marring (and there are threads on here by me a few years ago to prove it). But I`ve seen a few threads lately of people that have soft paint that only get good results from ONR. Maybe I`m crazy (OK, I am) but in the whole equation I`d like to see just where ONR falls.

David Fermani
05-18-2011, 11:08 AM
HIJAK!!! :tinfoil3:

I`d like to throw in ONR (and maybe waterless). At first I thought it was crazy that ONR could be minimally marring (and there are threads on here by me a few years ago to prove it). But I`ve seen a few threads lately of people that have soft paint that only get good results from ONR. Maybe I`m crazy (OK, I am) but in the whole equation I`d like to see just where ONR falls. Good point. I`ll be bringing up that discussion in another thread in the near future. Stay tuned.

Bill D
05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
My method, which is a version of Accumulator`s original non marring wash method, is admittedly impractical for pro detailers/ in a hurry situations.

I reserve a pressure washer only for washing wheel wells and uncarriages. I don`t use it on the paint. I`m too much of chicken fearing I might sand blast any grime into the paint or the pressure of the water itself marring the paint. That may be unfounded, but that`s my personal bias. I also feel the two bucket method alone is not sufficient for truly marring free washing. However, if I incorporated a foam gun designed for use with a pressure washer, that is a completely different story, and probably the best method by which delivering shampoo to the paint I`m aware of currently.

So that said,I use a regular hose with a foam gun and plenty of passes of shampoo and obviously a whole lot of water. Often, because my cars stay relatively clean all of the time, I can get away with a few passes of shampoo in the foam gun, and a good rinse and not have to use mitts at all; but that`s kind of atypical for many. So I would also incorporate the two bucket method into this set up, much as Accumulator does, use a few Grit Guards in them and most of all, use several mitts, designated for specific sections of the car. I equate my multiple mitt usage somewhat to playing something like golf or tennis: sure you could use one ball, but using several is probably better and probably necessary.

If you take these measures, you`ve used a lot of shampoo and a lot of water, and can spend a lot of time if you need to, but you`re probably not going to instill wash induced marring.

It depends on you as to how practical you think this technique is.

Dan
05-18-2011, 12:56 PM
I think the power washer is safer than two bucket, but I`m not a fan of two bucket to begin with. Unless you are really swishing around the water, the dirt just drops down the the bottom of the bucket. If there is anything you need to worry about in the wash water it is oily residue, but that would only affect LSP bonding. IMO, most marring is caused by dragging dirt on the surface of the car, not dirt in the wash mit. The other big factor is improper washing and then drying with dirt still on the car.

RaskyR1
05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Pressure washer wins in my book and I`ve never seen any negative effects from them in over 20 years. The cleaner the surface is before you physically touch it the better.

Rinse with PW

Foam and let dwell

Rinse again with PW

Foam and wash with 2BM

Rinse with DI water

Blow dry

Win! :)

Bill D
05-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Are you folks using a super duty, gas powered pressure washer, like the kind painters use to power wash homes before a repaint? I`ve seen pressure washer damage to plastic wheel well components and that was from an electric version. I suppose the trick is to keep the wand a considerable distance away from the car . I do like those foam guns that are designed for pressure washers. I`d like to see one in action in person.

All that said, my personal vehicles never get dirty enough to require pressurized rinsing water .For pros though, especially those running high turnover shops, where some real nightmares of dirty vehicles can come your way, it`s the only way to start off clean and since the car is getting detailed next any way, marring isn`t really an issue.

Dan
05-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I`m using an electric, I can put my hand in front of it at the same distance I wash with, it stings a bit, but its not going to peel paint. I use it on pretty clean vehicles, it effectively chisels away all the abrasive particles so all you are left with is road grime (oily film) which doesn`t mar even with sloppy wash techniques. While the foam blaster is nice, I rarely feel the need to use it, with a good LSP, a light rinse with the PW and the car looks 95% clean. My wash water afterwards doesn`t even really get dirty.

gt08vapor
05-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I power wash every car. I have an karcher elctric power washer. Once i power wash, i foam the car and let it dwell. Rinse. I then foam the section i am to wash, rinse and repeat.

I was slow to by the faom cannon, its a good chunk of money. After having it, i use it on every car. I due still use a bucket of wtaer to rinse my mitt.

Bill D
05-18-2011, 09:23 PM
I was slow to by the faom cannon, its a good chunk of money. After having it, i use it on every car. I due still use a bucket of wtaer to rinse my mitt.

Now that sounds like an incredible set up. But why only one mitt?

Barry Theal
05-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I power wash every car. I have an karcher elctric power washer. Once i power wash, i foam the car and let it dwell. Rinse. I then foam the section i am to wash, rinse and repeat.

I agree with slow to purchase a foam cannon. I bought one from autogeek a year or so and absolutely love it. Except I paid $119.00 Hey for the extra forty dollars I got a Wolfgang sticker that wore off after 2 weeks! :pound: There not as expensive as you think though. I was shocked when I seen them on 3D website for only 79.99! Now thats inexpensive! Check it out.

Foam cannon (http://www.3dproducts.com/T-20.html)

DetailKnight
05-19-2011, 09:32 AM
I use a 3500 psi... 4gpm honda, with a cat pump! It has the chemical injection on the pump, so I spray the vehicle off first with pressure, then soap the car down through the washer with a low pressure nozzle 2 or 3 times, then rinse with high pressure again! I even use regular car wash soap that I dilute 1 part soap to 3 parts water so it will go through the pump easier. I do my degreasing this way also, after a correction.

RaskyR1
05-19-2011, 03:50 PM
I use a 3500 psi... 4gpm honda, with a cat pump! It has the chemical injection on the pump, so I spray the vehicle off first with pressure, then soap the car down through the washer with a low pressure nozzle 2 or 3 times, then rinse with high pressure again! I even use regular car wash soap that I dilute 1 part soap to 3 parts water so it will go through the pump easier. I do my degreasing this way also, after a correction.

That`s a bit high for use on paint....are you dialing the pressure back at all?

I was using an electric 2750psi/2.5GPM Northerntool unit and even that was too much power to safely be used on car paint and I cranked it down quite a bit.

1800-2000psi seems about perfect.

Bill D
05-19-2011, 08:10 PM
No psis here, just a foam gun and plenty of flowing water and soap, but that`s my own personal vehicles.