PDA

View Full Version : Chrome rims pitted

knightryda01
05-16-2011, 08:02 PM
I have some chrome rims and I was looking for a way to make them looks somewhat good. They have some pitts around the innerside of the lip. I have heard everything from sanding them down to whatever else you can google. I need some help.

japjoe7
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
I have some chrome rims and I was looking for a way to make them looks somewhat good. They have some pitts around the innerside of the lip. I have heard everything from sanding them down to whatever else you can google. I need some help.

steam clean

David Fermani
05-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Other than cleaning them (with an acid-based cleaner probably), there isn`t anything you can really do to correct the problem without re-chroming the wheel.

salty
05-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Not sure how easy chrome is to correct, after sanding, being that it is very hard.

Lou K
05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
If you sand them you will be stuck with scratches forever. In this situation re- chroming is the only cure.

Accumulator
05-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Once you have pitting it indicates that the corrosion has penetrated the various layers of plating and attacked the underlying metal. You can`t really fix it because the chromium layer has been compromised. Replate or just clean/polish/wax and live with it.

If they`re steel you might try the (very strong) acidic cleaner to help arrest the corrosion. If they`re chromed aluminum I`d be leery of trying that because of the way aluminum responds to acids (if you try it, neutralize with an alkaline follow up, don`t just rinse with water).

pootoo12000
05-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Some time ago, someone posted a similar inquiry. One of the responses contained a link to a website offering chrome-like spray paint. IIRC, it was about $100 for 2 rattle cans of the stuff. Spray it on, then buff out. Follow up with clear. The results on the site looked superb. Really appeared to be chrome-like. I thought it might be something that might come in handy in the future for me, but of course I lost the link! Anyway, there is such stuff out there.

Accumulator
05-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Some time ago, someone posted a similar inquiry. One of the responses contained a link to a website offering chrome-like spray paint. .. there is such stuff out there.

IIRC, Auto Body Repair Tools Shop, Auto Body Supplies, Automotive & Classic Car Restoration - Eastwood (http://www.eastwood.com) has something like that. I sure wouldn`t expect miracles though.