PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 476 Question

MatthewR87
05-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Greetings everyone,

I recently (a week ago) waxed my black mustang with Collinite 476. The waxing process was quite easy and I must say after I was done the finish was really smooth and beaded water like nobody`s business. However, its been quite rainy the past few days and I`ve noticed that the car does not bead water very well anymore; the beads are deformed and not perfectly round. I have two coats on the hood and one coat everywhere else; I was planning to add one more coat this weekend weather permitting.

I was wondering whether it was possible to improperly apply 476? I did notice that I was getting some hazing for a few days after waxing. Would you expect it to bead very well following application and then poorly only a week later? Is it possible that the car is just dirty and greasy which is why the beads aren`t that nice? Thanks in advance

chris03tl
05-15-2011, 10:55 AM
How did you prep the car? Prep is everything, the wax is just kind of the icing on the cake.

Without a good base (i.e. bare paint) its possible the wax didnt adhere as well as it could have.

Also, how long did you leave it on the surface before buffing off. Did you use brand new (or at least known-clean) applicators?

Accumulator
05-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Greetings everyone,

I recently (a week ago) waxed my black mustang with Collinite 476. The waxing process was quite easy and I must say after I was done the finish was really smooth and beaded water like nobody`s business. However, its been quite rainy the past few days and I`ve noticed that the car does not bead water very well anymore; the beads are deformed and not perfectly round...Is it possible that the car is just dirty and greasy which is why the beads aren`t that nice?

That`s probably it, it`s just dirty. Wash it up and see how things are then. Every now and then I`ve had Collinite inexplicably disappoint me durability-wise (no, never did figure out why, wasn`t as simple as what I applied it over... :nixweiss ), but maybe that`s not what`s going on here.

I have two coats on the hood and one coat everywhere else; I was planning to add one more coat this weekend weather permitting.

I was wondering whether it was possible to improperly apply 476? I did notice that I was getting some hazing for a few days after waxing.

Layering 476S doesn`t always go smoothly, and I suspect that`s what the "hazing" was from. I generally do best with just one coat (or maybe two, with the second applied at least a week later), redone as needed. I consider the 476S to be the optimal choice for situations where I`m *not* doing multiple layers.

Would you expect it to bead very well following application and then poorly only a week later?

See how it is after the wash. Unless it`s been parked outside in nasty conditions (which might be anything from winter to tree sap to any other environmental condtion..) it oughta be fine.

Accumulator
05-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Without a good base (i.e. bare paint) its possible the wax didnt adhere as well as it could have.

IME Collinite 476S stays durable even when applied over top of "stuff" as opposed to on bare paint. Glazes/etc. underneath it don`t seem to compromise its durability for me, and I`ve even had the 476S stay healthy when underlying oils dissipated enough to reveal previously-concealed issues.

Yeah, some LSPs really are finicky about having a bare-paint base, but IME 476S isn`t like that.

MatthewR87
05-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will wash it and report back how it looks then. I prepped the paint with Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Solution and applied the wax with a damp microfibre towel. And yeah the hazing is probably due to the layers as you say. I waited a week before applying the second coat but I only have this hazing on the hood which is where there are two coats. Either way though the paint still looks better than after the dealer applied paint sealant; it worked for the first year and it was free but now I like the wax finish much more.

Accumulator
05-15-2011, 01:26 PM
.. I prepped the paint with Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Solution and applied the wax with a damp microfibre towel. And yeah the hazing is probably due to the layers as you say. I waited a week before applying the second coat but I only have this hazing on the hood which is where there are two coats..

The PCL is a good base for waxes IME and the stuff it leaves behind shouldn`t cause any issues. It *does* sound like you ran into that "layering 476S" issue, see how it is after the next wash and maybe give the hood a good (but reasonable...don`t go crazy ;) ) buffing with a soft MF and some QD.