PDA

View Full Version : My dash turned blotchy white!!!!

Stang2006
05-11-2011, 02:00 PM
I have an 06 Mustang and I bought a dash mat for it recently. The kit came with 70% IPA wipes to clean the areas of application for the velcro. I had cleaned the areas and later noticed that those areas had turned blotchy white! I have no idea what he hell happened. I tried using a bit of water to see is it was some type of residue, but nithing came up. It`s like it was bleached or something. What can I do? Thanks.

gtpaul
05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Why would you use a `dash` mat on a 2006 Mustang?

TedFred
05-12-2011, 09:54 AM
You might try shoe polish. As GT paul alluded to the new cars don`t usally need a dash cover due to new plastics. I have a 11 year old BMW and the dash looks as good as the day it was new . The car is out in the sun all day. And by the way all new cars have UV filtering glass to keep out the harmful rays

David Fermani
05-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Looks like you need a dash matt to cover the damage now!!! I`d be calling the manufacturer of the dash matt and have them buy you a new dash pad.

SVTContour
05-13-2011, 11:12 PM
As weird as this sounds, it very well might fade away. My wife spilled some hand sanitizer (alcohol based I think) on the dark grey dash of our Odyssey and it bleached it, but after about 6 months the color has come back.

corvetteman
05-14-2011, 12:39 PM
You might try shoe polish. As GT paul alluded to the new cars don`t usally need a dash cover due to new plastics. I have a 11 year old BMW and the dash looks as good as the day it was new . The car is out in the sun all day. And by the way all new cars have UV filtering glass to keep out the harmful rays

When did the new plastics start? Will they stop all fading and cracking?

jaynick808
05-14-2011, 02:41 PM
dashes still crack. i work on a lot of toyota/lexus and many have that problem. ive seen 2006+ 4runner/tacoma and is350 and es350 with hairline cracks in the dash. not as bad as the old school cracks people used to get but ive seen it. low miles mostly garaged cars too. hawaii sun is brutal.

sounds like you could try a light APC then some 303 or something to restore some sheen and color