PDA

View Full Version : Heavyweight wax test: 845 v. 476s v. FK1000p, and 1 coat v. 2 coats

Pages : [1] 2 3

extrabolts
05-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Time for a test among the heavyweights. The following contestants:

- 1 coat of collinite 845

- 2 coats of collinite 845

- 1 coat of FK1000P

- 2 coats of FK1000P

- 1 coat of 476s

- 2 coats of 476s

The donor car is black, in the south, and sits outside fulltime. The paint on it straight up bakes during the summer. No doubt the paint reaches temperatures above the melting point of 845 and 476s, but will it matter? How much extra protection do you get from a second coat? Let`s find out.

Unfortunately I could not get the light good enough to capture the micro-marring, so I can`t post any pictures of filling ability. The hood was prepped by spraying the whole thing down with Adam`s APC and then washing off with regular car wash soap, 4 times. Then I went over it all with IPA just to be sure we had a clean surface.

The test is on the hood. I did the sections horizontal so that each wax will have at least two areas with little to no engine heat - each on the side. This car is driven only rarely during the summer. Anyway, the roof of my car is disgraceful, hard to get up to and take pictures, and just wasn`t a good option.

The setup:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/members/extrabolts-albums282-3322.JPG

First coat applied and buffed off:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/members/extrabolts-albums282-3323.JPG

The car will sit for four days, and then I`ll put a second coat on each of the two coat sections.

My current preference is 476s because I like to wax my car (glass, trim, paint, chrome), not just my paint. With the FK1000P I get white stuff in the crevices and have to watch out for accidentally leaving some on the trim, also makes it very difficult to wax the windows because on this car I have rubber trim around everything. However, I`ve been willing to put up with FK1000P due to its high temp properties since this car bakes all summer long. Now we`ll see if its worth the extra effort.

MrCLRider
05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
I`m so looking forward to this test.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

tonipieleanu
05-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Same here, looking forward for the results!

Brilliant test, btw!

Scottwax
05-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Looking forward to the results in what, about 6-7 months? :lol

Alexshimshimhae
05-10-2011, 11:58 AM
this should be good xD

Accumulator
05-10-2011, 12:20 PM
What I think *I* will find interesting is how extrabolts`s results compare with mine :think: I`m getting used to people reporting how their experiences differ from, or are identical to, mine...whole lotta variables in play here.

And it`s funny how...at least IME...some LSPs just do/don`t work well with some surfaces. 845 is a widly variable for me and I`ve never figured out why :nixweiss

Oh with the FK1000P..try moving the applicator "away" or "along" the edges of problem areas; if you push it "up against" or "over" the edges it leaves more product residue. And use the W-O-W-O method on trim/etc. (some people might want to do that with the 476S too).

extrabolts
05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
2nd coats applied:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/members/extrabolts-albums282-3327.jpg

Buffed and baking:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/members/extrabolts-albums282-3328.jpg

I`m guessing the first update will be in ~6 weeks(ish). We`ll see just how harsh the sun is on the black paint.

AlexRuiz
05-12-2011, 11:30 AM
I`ll have my children come back to check results :P

Accumulator
05-12-2011, 01:47 PM
2nd coats applied...

No pseudo-holograms with the 476S, huh? Lucky you :D

Fallz
05-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Which product had the best filling capabilities ?

Interesting comparison since I use all 3 of those products . I have often wondered if the 1000p has any more heat protection than other waxes have . I have not noticed any difference personally.

Accumulator , what are the pseudo-holograms that you speak of ? is it only with the 476 ? I want to see if I can see them on my vehicle as I don`t think I can .

In my experiences I would give the slight nod to 1000p for shine , but but recently did some tests and purposely been washing with harsh detergents and carwashes and the Collinite has been tough as nails . (thats with 2 coats of 845 on some areas and 2 coats of 476 in others ) the dirt / water shedding has been a plus over the 1000p also , but still hard to get away from the looks of the 1000p .

Rob Tomlin
05-12-2011, 11:25 PM
And it`s funny how...at least IME...some LSPs just do/don`t work well with some surfaces. 845 is a widly variable for me and I`ve never figured out why :nixweiss

I`ve had the exact same issue with 845IW. The first time I tried it on my yellow single stage paint, I was extremely disappointed and could not understand why so many people loved it so much. This included the fact that it did NOT come off easily or cleanly for me. Finally decided to try it again, this time on silver metallic paint, and the results were excellent. I now consider 845 to be the best bang for the buck LSP money can buy.

Accumulator
05-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Which product had the best filling capabilities ?

Well, it sure won`t be the FK1000P, despite what one might expect from all the "white residue" stuff it can leave behind.

IME the 476S is the best at concealing. No miracle-worker, but well..you know how "heavy paste waxes" are, and this is right in line with that.

Sometimes the 845 conceals surprisingly well, that`s one reason why I use it on the beater-Audi.

Interesting comparison since I use all 3 of those products . I have often wondered if the 1000p has any more heat protection than other waxes have . I have not noticed any difference personally.

Well, IMO most waxes are more heat resistant than people would expect. OK, not Souveran IME, but generally all that talk of "waxes evaporating at xxx degrees" simply doesn`t hold true for me.

FK sorta stirred the pot naming FK1000P a "Hi Temp Wax" instead of just calling it a sealant.

Accumulator , what are the pseudo-holograms that you speak of ? is it only with the 476 ? I want to see if I can see them on my vehicle as I don`t think I can .

I`ve had them with 476S and FK1000P. It`s apparently as solvent-action effect where the subsequent applications/"layers" mess with the underlying ones. It looks like, well....holograms. Not trying to be a smart-@$$ or anything, it just looks like that. I call them "pseudo" because they`re not the "real thing" as in done with a rotary, but they look pretty much identical.

Sometimes they`re pretty subtle, gotta get the light (sunlight or the SunGun, very tough to do with the latter though) just right if they`re not really awful.

Buffing the FK1000P with MFs and FK425 fixed those, but man did I have to press...wouldn`t like to try that on really soft paint! With the 476S they`ll sometimes buff out with QD, but otherwise the quickest fix is to rewax with 845. I *think* the 845 does a little solvent-action of its own and "smooths out" the 476S, rather than just "filling" since they don`t come back later.

The way 476S does this is the reason why I do the "Collinite sandwich"- 845, then 476S, then more 845. I simply gave up on doing multiple applicatons of 476S by itself.

In my experiences I would give the slight nod to 1000p for shine , but but recently did some tests and purposely been washing with harsh detergents and carwashes and the Collinite has been tough as nails . (thats with 2 coats of 845 on some areas and 2 coats of 476 in others ) the dirt / water shedding has been a plus over the 1000p also , but still hard to get away from the looks of the 1000p .

Heh heh, I`m sure not gonna :argue with somebody`s first-hand experiences, but I sure do wonder why the Collinite/FK1000P dirt shedding comparisons work out so differently for different people :confused: I mean...I was sold on Collinite for *years* until the FK1000P proved so superior (in the exact same applicatons) that I changed my tune :nixweiss

Accumulator
05-13-2011, 11:55 AM
I`ve had the exact same issue with 845IW..

Heh heh, glad to hear it`s not just me! Yeah, I`m still usingit quite happily on the beater-Audi, but it`s not the right stuff for every application.

extrabolts
05-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Nope, no issues with the second coats.

All of these did some filling for me, but I`d give the nod to the collinite products. I`d say the collinite areas reduced my micro-marring by 85%, FK1000P by 70%. I think my experience with the filling ability of these products is more a reflection of how fine my micro-marring is. You can only see it if you look directly into the sun`s reflection, even from 2 feet away looking at an angle none of it will show up without wax. So I think almost any wax will help with this. I don`t want to give the impression that I`m testing these on a surface that needs any serious correction. If you have the type of marring where you can see it when it is cloudy, or in full sun from more than 5` away, I`m no help. I have two coats of FK1000P on the rest of my car, and my scratches still look like scratches. It only helped for very fine wash-marring.

As to looks, they basically all look the same to me. I can split hairs and say that looking very closely the collinite products leave the paint a bit darker. I can`t capture it with the camera, but the FK1000P areas look freshly polished / no color change to where the tape was and there is no product.

As to dirt-shedding, we`ll find out! I`ll update with some pictures once we get a rain storm, etc.

Alfisti
05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
***subscribed***