PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding Problem

papabear050
05-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Hello all

So I got a pretty deep scratch in my tailgate. It is a metallic gray finish. So I used touchup paint and filled the scratch, applied 3 coats and let it cure 24 hours. I then wet sanded the area with 2000 grit and the problem is I did it by hand. Did not use a block so I ended up applying uneven pressure causing a wave or dimple in the clear coat. The area around the scratch is a little lighter and a oval sized discoloration appeared. It is still grey but the metallic flake i is gone... not sure if I went through the clear coat.... I don`t think I did.... anyway, I touched that spot back up but now it looks worse than before... like a dent.... so should I sand the whole thing over again using a block... or there is nothing I can do at this point?

Barry Theal
05-09-2011, 04:16 PM
It sounds to me as if you went threw the clear. Do you have a picture of it?

papabear050
05-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I`ll get one tonight.

Thanks...

richy
05-09-2011, 07:51 PM
It does sound like you`ve gone through the clear. I did it on a customer`s car once that was a friend of mine. I really wanted to get the scratch out and was more aggressive than normal. I had the area painted for him. Live and learn. That was before I had my PTG too. There is a lot of piece of mind to that piece of equipment!