PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s Med Cut Cleaner w/LC orange pad?

xspwrstang
02-16-2006, 11:27 AM
I`m doing my wife`s `02 true blue Explorer this weekend. It`s starting to swirl and has some deep scratches that I will touch up. My Q is, can I use Meguiar`s medium cut cleaner w/LC orange pad for the whole truck or should I use a less aggressive pad like the white polishing pad?
Here`s what I plan on doing, please help me out w/this one, Thanks.

Meguiar`s Medium Cut w/LC orange pad
SSR1 w/white polishing pad
Meguiar`s #7 w/white polishing pad
EX-P w/black finishing pad (cure 24hrs)
Natty`s Blue 2x

I`ll take some before/after pix and post after the detail.

CharlesW
02-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Medium Cut, Meguiar`s #1 is some pretty aggressive stuff. It`s a 7 on their 0 to 10 scale of abrasiveness. For comparison, their Swirl Removers are a 3.
In their Professional product catalog, they recommend it be used with a rotary as well. It may need the heat of the rotary for proper breakdown of the abrasives.
It probably isn`t the right product for what you are wanting to do.

Charles

Edit: Meguiar`s #1 Medium-Cut Cleaner has been reformulated and is now for use by hand, DA or rotary.

74 thing
02-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I have used that with a rotary and an orange LC pad to cut some really deep scratches-just spot clean up though-not the whole vehicle. In my opinion it is very agressive-comparable to Menzerna Powergloss. If I were you I would wash, clay, then hit the vehicle with SSR 2.5 and SSR1, then #7 and your LSP`s or if using Meguiars #83 with a rotary, #80 with a PC then #7 and your LSP`s.

xspwrstang
02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I don`t have any SSR2.5 right now so I really need something I can pick up locally. Is the #80 something I can use w/the PC and the LC orange pad? I guess what I want to know is which Meguiar`s compares to SSR2.5 so I can buy it locally and get started on it tomorrow. Also, can I do spots w/the orange pad and the whole suv w/the white polishing pad?

CharlesW
02-16-2006, 02:03 PM
I don`t have any SSR2.5 right now so I really need something I can pick up locally. Is the #80 something I can use w/the PC and the LC orange pad? I guess what I want to know is which Meguiar`s compares to SSR2.5 so I can buy it locally and get started on it tomorrow. Also, can I do spots w/the orange pad and the whole suv w/the white polishing pad?#80 should work fine with the PC. I have no idea what the "LC orange pad" is supposed to be used for. If it is a polishing pad, it should work fine with #80. If it is a cutting pad, I have no idea how it would work. I don`t own any cutting pads.
Meguiar`s #83 seems to be considered about equal in abrasiveness to PB`s SSR2.5.
I have used Meg`s #83 with a Meg`s polishing pad with good results. That combination did not seem overly aggressive and it did take some time to remove some blemishes.
The worst thing about #80 and #83 for you will be having to buy 32 oz. containers when you probably need about 3 oz. Do you have anyone local that might trade or sell you a small amount to see how it works? I`m able to buy #83 from my friends at the body shop. Actually, they would give it to me, but I pay them by the oz. I get.

Charles

xspwrstang
02-16-2006, 02:22 PM
The orange pad is a light cutting pad made by Wolfgang but it does seem very stiff that`s why I wanted some input before using it. If you have used the #83 w/the PC and it compares to the 2.5 then I really don`t mind buying the big bottle since I will use it on other cars as well. Thanks for all your help I really love this site now that I am addicted to this "detailing thing" as my wife tells me.

joe.p
02-16-2006, 02:28 PM
I wouldn`t use the Orange Lake Country pad,use the white LC polishing pad if you have it.

xspwrstang
02-16-2006, 02:31 PM
I wouldn`t use the Orange Lake Country pad,use the white LC polishing pad if you have it.

Yea I do have the white, 3 actually, I guess the orange ones will just sit in my garage I`m too worried about messing something up and these things are STIFF. Thanks for your input.

97F1504x4
02-16-2006, 04:30 PM
How would the Orange pad and some SSR1 or 2 be?

Richard

xspwrstang
02-17-2006, 09:24 AM
How would the Orange pad and some SSR1 or 2 be?

Richard
I don`t know but I would think the pad might be too harsh on the paint. Maybe I can use my father-in-law`s old truck and try it out.