PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up stock stainless steel exhaust

Striker
05-04-2011, 02:27 PM
The condition of my factory stainless steel exhaust is A+ as the car never sees moisture or any foul weather.

All i`m simply looking at doing is cleaning it up a lil bit and bringing out the looks of it when it was new.

Any good OTC products?

Brad B
05-04-2011, 02:48 PM
The condition of my factory stainless steel exhaust is A+ as the car never sees moisture or any foul weather.

All i`m simply looking at doing is cleaning it up a lil bit and bringing out the looks of it when it was new.

Any good OTC products?

I just cleaned up my Cayman S exhaust with Mothers metal polish. It worked very well and is available at many retail stores.

C. Charles Hahn
05-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I usually start with P21S TAW (or S100 TCW) to get any standing dirt or grime off, then move on to either the Mother`s polish that Brad mentions or the Meguiar`s NXT Metal Polysh that I keep on hand.

If you need something a bit stronger I`ve kept some Noxon 7 on hand (really, really strong metal polish that can be found at ACE hardware stores or online) and it can cut through some serious crud.

Striker
05-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Is it okay if i were to use simple green to clean up the dirt/grime off the exhaust before applying mothers?

C. Charles Hahn
05-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Is it okay if i were to use simple green to clean up the dirt/grime off the exhaust before applying mothers?

I avoid Simple Green like the plague these days; it may be fine for one-time use but I`ve heard horror stories about how caustic it is and knowing that much safer products exist on the market these days, there are better alternatives. If anything Meguiar`s APC or Optimum Power Clean would be safer bets.

Incidentally, you can pick up the S100 Total Cycle Cleaner I mentioned at your local Harley-Davidson dealer if you`re at all interested in giving it a shot.

Brad B
05-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Avoid SG. Use a wheel cleaner and treat just like wheels.

jb1
05-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Avoid SG. Use a wheel cleaner and treat just like wheels.

That`s what I do. Our new Hyundai Sonata Turbo runs VERY rich and the tips are always black. After I wash them, I use Eagle One Never Dull to remove the black deposits and any tar. It cleans extremely well and quick. I spray a MF towel with Dirtex to remove any residue and fingerprints left behind. If it needs some bling, I`ll hit it with Simichrome.

Striker
05-08-2011, 10:25 PM
For those recommending the mothers metal polish. You`re not talking about the "billet" polish are you? There`s that one, than just "metal polish" and "mag & aluminum" polish.

I`m debating if it`s Mag&Al or the Metal Polish?