PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this project (MG Midget)

cptzippy
05-02-2011, 10:31 PM
There`s a little MK IV MG Midget sitting for sale near me. If I could get the wife to approve and if I could get it for the right price I think it`d be a fun car to putter around in and with. It`s got some rust showing. Without a repaint, what would you do with it?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/cadfael_tex/IMG_0125.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/cadfael_tex/IMG_0126.jpg

largest spot:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/cadfael_tex/IMG_0118.jpg

David Fermani
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Without a repaint, what would you do with it?

Buff the crap out it and avoid the rust. Not much you can do with the rust other than do a temporary touch up. Keep in mind that rust repair(done right) is pretty costly and please consider that in your final price. Probably be a fun car to tinker with, but watch out for the money pit aspect.

Accumulator
05-03-2011, 11:20 AM
... Probably be a fun car to tinker with, but watch out for the money pit aspect.

Just expect to do more tinkering than driving ;) And expect to do a lot of that by the side of the road.

While you can basically rebuild one of those from scratch with a decent tool set and a credit card to buy parts with, I honestly think the whole experience is unlikely to turn out satisfactorily.

TLMitchell
05-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Probably be a fun car to tinker with, but watch out for the money pit aspect.

BTDT, it was an expensive lesson.

Just expect to do more tinkering than driving ;) And expect to do a lot of that by the side of the road.

While you can basically rebuild one of those from scratch with a decent tool set and a credit card to buy parts with, I honestly think the whole experience is unlikely to turn out satisfactorily.

Make that a high-limit credit card.

Old Brit iron with electronics by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

To answer the question, "What would you do with this project"? I`d run like hell. But that`s just me.

TL

08xB
05-03-2011, 06:49 PM
WOW! Lucas isn`t that bad... I wouldn`t want a Lucas pacemaker though... they`re great little cars. I have several MG`s in various stages of restoration and my father-in-law owns a resto shop that specializes in British cars. Victoria British and MOSS are great sources for parts and accessories. There are several MG clubs you can look in to as well.

JohnZ3MC
05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
WOW! Lucas isn`t that bad... I wouldn`t want a Lucas pacemaker though...

Interesting anecdote: I drive a sightseeing bus in Victoria, B.C. and sometimes i drive the old English Double Deckers. On one tour a few years ago, I was talking about the bus we were using and how it had Lucas electrics.

At a 15 min. restroom stop along the way, this old gent, tweed and cane, started a conversation. He mentioned he was English and had many British cars with Lucas electronics over the years and the electrics were terrible in all of them. We shared a few stories then he told me that way before cars, Lucas started in the horse carriage days, designing the candle lamps that would adorn the sides of the carriages. Without missing a beat, he mentioned the Lucas carriage lanterns didn`t work well either.

Brad B
05-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I have restored many old British cars both for show and as daily drivers. Jags, Healeys, Triumphs...and none are cheaper and easier to work on than the good ole Midget. When tuned properly they are amazingly reliable and fun to drive. They are pretty basic and repairs are generally simple. Many times I have bought cars and slowly fixed them up as I drove them.

This wouldn`t scare me away. Go for it!