PDA

View Full Version : New car with lighter color paint-should I change what I use to wash/detail

ruleof72
05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi all,

Haven`t posted in a long time but that`s because everything has been going great.

I just picked up a new VW Jetta SportWagen TDI last week. The color is White Gold and it has the Cornsilk Beige interior. The car has about 400 miles on it and I am planning on washing it here this week. I`m wondering though if I need to change my products to match the car. Here`s what I`ve been using for the past 4 years:

Optimum No Rinse for the wash.

Duragloss 105

Duragloss Aquawax

303 Aerospace Protectant for vinyl/rubber

I`ve been very happy with the ONR & Duragloss stuff but I haven`t kept up with their product lines. Do they have something newer/better, especially for the lighter colored paint? The car has the "leatherette" seats. Is there anything the community would recommend that does a good job of cleaning and protecting it?

Also, is there a preferred procedure for a first wash to best prepare the paint for years of trouble free service?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Accumulator
05-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Hi all,

Haven`t posted in a long time but that`s because everything has been going great.

I just picked up a new VW Jetta SportWagen TDI last week. The color is White Gold and it has the Cornsilk Beige interior. The car has about 400 miles on it and I am planning on washing it here this week. I`m wondering though if I need to change my products to match the car. Here`s what I`ve been using for the past 4 years:

Optimum No Rinse for the wash.

Duragloss 105

Duragloss Aquawax

303 Aerospace Protectant for vinyl/rubber

I`ve been very happy with the ONR & Duragloss stuff but I haven`t kept up with their product lines. Do they have something newer/better, especially for the lighter colored paint?

If you`re happy with what you`ve been doing, I`d just stick with that. I sure wouldn`t get caught up in the "this or that for light/dark paint" stuff.

OK, I`ll still mention my ongoing love of FK1000P, but I do think people spend too much time/effort/money trying to fix stuff that`s not broken.

The car has the "leatherette" seats. Is there anything the community would recommend that does a good job of cleaning and protecting it?

I think you`ll find that they wear like iron and require very little special treatment. I would`t even bother protecting them myself, I`d just keep them clean with whatever you normally use for interiors.

Also, is there a preferred procedure for a first wash to best prepare the paint for years of trouble free service?

OK, here`s where I do get kinda involved....I`d give that light colored paint a thorough decontamination since any "rust-blooms" from ferrous contamination (think "rail dust") can be a huge issue with lighter colors. I like AutoInt`s "ABC" (eh, their website was down recently so I won`t try to post my link) but FinishKare offers something similar and vendors like We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store (http://www.autogeek.net/) have it. Or you could try Iron-X (I forget where I got mine :confused: ).

The decon is better than just clay. Really. And no, I sure don`t have anything against clay, I even use it in conjunction with the decon stuff now and then.

And the decon is simple; basically just giving the car a few extra washes with the "special stuff". Piece of cake, good peace of mind knowing that you really did start with a truly clean slate.

David Fermani
05-02-2011, 10:13 PM
If you`re happy with what you`ve been doing, I`d just stick with that.

Exactly. Looks like your regiment is pretty solid. I`d keep rolling with it personally.

imported_DetailDan
05-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I agree, if you`re happy with those products then just stick with them. Keep it simple, dont get caught up in picking products based on the paint color. If you want to try a new sealant/ spray on product Id go with Blackfire Wet Diamond and Optimum Car Wax.

For the leather I`d go with Leather Masters or LTT Solutions. I actually prefer LTT over LM personally, but you can`t buy it in the US.

msadar123
05-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Good explanation about color paint.......nice to view.

Louisiana Auto Transport (http://a1autotransport.com/states/LA/index.php)|Maine Auto Transport (http://a1autotransport.com/states/ME/index.php)

ruleof72
05-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I ordered a new supply of 105, AW, ONR as well as some Optimum Power Clean. I was searching for paint decon products and came across Iron X. It looks like a very easy to use product (only one step). Any feedback on that?

Brad B
05-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice ride! Pics! We want pics!

Accumulator
05-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I ordered ..some Optimum Power Clean. I was searching for paint decon products and came across Iron X. It looks like a very easy to use product (only one step). Any feedback on that?

I think you`ll like the PowerClean, I sure do. (Props to David Fermani for talking me into trying it!)

I haven`t used my Iron-X yet, it`s just sitting on the shelf. I got the "wash gel" version instead of the spray as I think it`ll be easier to exercise control over, but either one oughta be great for the acidic step/removal of ferrous contamination.

BUT...I`m still a big fan of first using something like AutoInt/ValuGard`s "A" or FK`s 1119 (think that`s the right number) for a "super shampoo" wash.