PDA

View Full Version : A leather steering wheel question (not your usual autopia one either I promise).

Marc Hufnagel
04-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Ok, About 2 months ago I got a new 2011 Infiniti G37xS. Grphite leather interior including the steering wheel.

My problem is this: After driving the car from say 15-20 minutes, my hands start getting extremely dry; to the point of my fingertips showing shriveling marks. A little longer and my palms start getting a rough dry feeling. It` snot just me, my wife drove it for the first time today and had exactly the same thing happen.

I`m not sure if it is vinyl coated leather or not. Am I seeing the fact that it already needs some kind of conditioner to keep it from (what I think), wicking the moisture from my hands?

Odd one, granted, but after a couple of hours it turns into almost a tingling feeling with the shriveling.

help? Thanks :wavey

C. Charles Hahn
04-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Hmm... well if nothing else it`s worth a shot conditioning the leather to see if it helps.

ptownTSI
05-01-2011, 02:56 AM
try putting some lexol conditioner thick with your hands and let it soak in. if that doesn`t work theres always hand lotion or gloves!

Ch96067
05-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Have you and or your wife had this reaction before with other leather goods (steering wheel, gloves etc.)?

You could also protect your hands before driving with some moisturising cream.

I hope you solve this.

Marc Hufnagel
05-01-2011, 08:07 AM
No reaction like this before. Think spending too long in the bathtub when you were a kid and how your fingertips would get - only this is dry. I may be able to post a pic today sometime.

I think I have some lexol somewhere, I`m going to try that today. The next step would be to check out the new models at the dealer after I notify them of this (if I can`t resolve it) and see if there is a difference in feeling between my new one and their new ones. Both 2011`s.