PDA

View Full Version : Paint feels rough-clay or polish?

Striker
04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Today was the first nice day of the year so I did a proper wash on the Altima and noticed the paint felt rough, it was pretty "grabby" when I was drying it with my waffle weave.

Should I try some Sonus Green that I have laying around, or hit it with a one-step polish?

Brand new car, for what it`s worth. Picked it up in February.

Sir Clean
04-23-2011, 11:07 PM
I would go with a clay. I did my clay job on my 1.5 year old Nissan Skyline (Infiniti G37 Coupe in the NA market) and my clay picked up some dirts off my paint without marring (I wash carefully almost whenever my car gets dusty or after rain and apply the glass coating thereafter). I use a generous flow of running water as I slide my clay in one direction with frequent kneading.

chris03tl
04-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Clay.

The last time this happened to me it turned out to be some overspray from something (I didnt paint anything near my car, and the whole car was covered, front to back and both sides, even the glass). Clay took it right off, *then* I went to polish.

Striker
04-24-2011, 10:12 PM
My assumption is that it`s caused by one of my trees in the drive-way. I guess it`s some sort of sap. No idea if ZAINO is sufficient enough to protect from it.

jtford95
04-25-2011, 12:34 AM
I would clay it and the hit it with the polish.

Surly
04-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Clay.

"Feel" is what I use to determine if my paint needs clay prior to my annual "big detailing" session on my 13 y/o BMW. If it still feels slick - no clay. If it feels rough it gets clayed (and then feels slick again). About 50% of years I can skip the clay, but my car is in the garage a lot even though it`s a "daily driver".

rdorman
04-25-2011, 11:38 AM
I don`t touch a car with a polish without claying.

AutoElite2011
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Clay then polish

Bill D
04-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Probably clay. but does anyone have experience with this soap? :CarPro Iron X Soap Gel Iron Remover (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/iron-x-soap-gel-cleaner.html)

Seems like it can do what clay does and better.

Ben@3D
04-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Clay and ask questions later!

David Fermani
04-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Brand new car, for what it`s worth. Picked it up in February.

What have you done to the car since you`ve owned it in terms of cleaning the paint? I`d do a full AutoInt ABC wash, clay and polish.

extrabolts
04-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Wash it, clay it, wash it, wax it. If the car is only a couple of months old, you probably need a more durable wax to prevent contamination. Does the car live outside or in an industrial area, etc? If so I`d go with collinite 476, 845, or FK1000.

The contamination also could have come from the dealership, especially if you got a 2010 model or something that has been hanging around the lot for a while without proper care.

Striker
04-28-2011, 07:49 AM
David,

I`ve clayed the entire vehicle using the light Sonus green bar. Never did a polish to the car yet.

what'sinaname
01-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi all

First time posting. Have been reading this forum with interest for a few months after wanting to know how to remove some light scratches.

I`ve just done my first clay and WOW! As with OP, no matter how much washing and polishing, the paint felt rough. So I got up the courage to to a clay bar (am usually risk averse and a little sceptical that products over promise and under deliver) and I can`t believe how smooth the paint is.

Car is 3 years old and the clay bar picked up a load of grit that just wouldn`t come off even with Scratch-X or other polishes.

In summary, I`m a convert to clay and will recommend it to all.

Lowejackson
01-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Hi all

First time posting. Have been reading this forum with interest for a few months after wanting to know how to remove some light scratches.

I`ve just done my first clay and WOW! As with OP, no matter how much washing and polishing, the paint felt rough. So I got up the courage to to a clay bar (am usually risk averse and a little sceptical that products over promise and under deliver) and I can`t believe how smooth the paint is.

Car is 3 years old and the clay bar picked up a load of grit that just wouldn`t come off even with Scratch-X or other polishes.

In summary, I`m a convert to clay and will recommend it to all.

Welcome to Autopia