PDA

View Full Version : Gotta decide what to do next...

cptzippy
04-23-2011, 08:17 PM
First things first: since my back has been bothering me I don`t have a lot of energy to devote to detailing my car and my wife`s SUV so...

I started detailing my car for the big spring push last week. It is a 2010 Lexus IS350C in Ultrasonic Blue Mica. I`ve done the following...

ONR wash (btw, LSP is way gone now since last fall)

Iron X treatment (did this last Monday).

Was about to clay it but time and energy got in the way. My original plan was to clay, polish/correct/ and Opticoat each panel at a time as I could. Now I`m thinking of claying it and slapping some Optiseal on it and postponing correction etc till later.

Bottom line correction: what are the big drawbacks of doing one panel at a time over say a period of 3-6 weeks? What would you do if you were in my situation?

TIA,

Tony

clnfrk
04-23-2011, 08:59 PM
There are no drawbacks to spreading out the correction process other than not having the satisfaction of enjoying a fully corrected car. Actually, I think doing a panel or two at a time would probably yield better results overall since your less likely to start rushing and cutting corners that you may be prone to do if you were attempting to tackle the whole car in one sitting. Just be sure to have your washing regimen in order before you start. It would really suck to finally finish correcting the last panel only to notice more marring in previously done panels due to poor washing techniques in between.

Accumulator
04-24-2011, 01:00 PM
captzippy- I`d split the difference between the two approaches and give it a quick Optiseal now, with the plan being to subsequently do a "better" job on it one panel at a time. You just might find that the quickie Optiseal job satsifies you more than you`d expect, but even if you really do want to give it a full Autopian going over it`ll be OK-looking in the meantime.

The only downsides I run itno when doing the correction one panel at a time are:

-vehicle can look like a "half-and-half" effect between the before/after panels (but nobody else will notice)

-gotta watch you don`t mess up the corrected ones when you work on the next area (e.g., polish or its dust getting on a finished panel)

Street5927
04-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I agree with Accumulator above, however, if you are doing one panel a week, let`s say on average about 7 panels or 7 weeks, then you have to realize that your vehicle will have different protection times. The first panels protection will expire quicker than the last panel.

I would evaluate the paint condition to determine if it really needs any coating or correction. If it can go without for the time being, I would just seal and do a full clay/correction/seal when the time presents itself.

cptzippy
04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the input. Leaning heavily toward just claying and putting a sealant on it for now. On the flip slide, I`ve been using my Prima stuff on my wife`s car and the OPT on my car. May switch it for the summer and see what the differences really are.

Accumulator
04-25-2011, 02:22 PM
..realize that your vehicle will have different protection times. The first panels protection will expire quicker than the last panel..

Yeah, a somewhat-equalizing additional coat of LSP would probably be a good idea.