PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Dye

BLACKWRX
02-14-2006, 10:52 PM
have any of you guys heard of carpet dying......a process used to repair heavily unclean able stains.
instead of removing a stain you dye over it matching of existing carpeting
??????
any information would be helpful

Tex Star Detail
02-14-2006, 10:56 PM
I used carpet dye in the rattle can a few times. You are suposed to clean the carpet as good as possible, spray dye the carpet.....let it set for a few.......brush carpet the other direction, spray again....then re-brush......Suposed to make the carpet soft, but I had no luck. Always stiff when I did it...........

I know there are other here that can give you better info though.....

BLACKWRX
02-14-2006, 11:00 PM
http://www.leatherworldtech.com/
i just found this an amazing site for products for automotive interiors

Tex Star Detail
02-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Good find!! :bigups

Brenton
02-15-2006, 06:21 AM
I`m interested in knowing if anyone had luck here. I`m ordering a can for my own car colour, but haven`t decided if I have the courage to use it.

detailz
02-15-2006, 07:52 AM
I would never use aerosol dyes since the carpet would be very coarse when completed. It would be difficult to remove the overspray on plastics if you do not cover them up well. There are two liquid forms of dying: acid and water base. Acid base, `they` say, is the most durable since it will bond to the fibers for much longer durations. Don`t be scared by the word acid either, not dangerous to work with. The water base systems are nice, the durability comes to questions if the carpets are shampooed often. Both systems clean easily if oversprayed, require minimal effort and will not harden the carpets. Keep in mind though, that when you dye the carpets you will actually use a darker dye than the existing color to conceal the stain. The difference could be subtle. Most definitely you must clean the stain prior to dying. A number of companies sell systems from $175 -600. A little more than a $10 can;however, the results are far superior. Check out Rightlook,DetailPlus,PaintBull or some of our sponsors for various kits. Hope this helps.

CharlesW
02-15-2006, 01:36 PM
SEM makes a product called Color Coat that I have used once.
You can find it here. (http://www.premiumautocare.com/semcocoae.html)

I transferred a rear cargo mat from my Tran Sport van to the Montana. Since it was tan carpet and the Montana was grey, I used the SEM on it.
It did a good job covering and since I sprayed a thin coat and brushed about 4-6 times, I didn`t have a lot of matted fibers to cause the hard feeling. I doubt that most people would feel the difference.

It isn`t perfect, but I had the carpet redyed(?) in the Corvette for a lot of money a few years back and I think my work was equal to the professional.
The carpet definitely wasn`t soft after he finished.

FWIW, It`s used a lot by used car lots and that includes used car lots of new car dealers.
Experiment with it on something that doesn`t have to be like new and see what your results are.

Charles

Aliengotpsi
02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
I bought a carpet dying system yesterday .. RETAIL 430.00 I payed 299.00 from www.sparkleauto.com I dont think its on their site tho..

maximv1
02-17-2006, 12:47 PM
i use aerosol can dyes quite ofter for small areas. they work really well but in high traffic areas, they will wear off eventually. i will use a soft brush and after i spray the color on i brush it in. i find that reduces clumping and makes it a little softer. i use the hi-tech brand.

artman4life
03-05-2006, 08:47 PM
not sure the brand name my job has at work, but i try to avoid it at all cost, use only as a last min resort, when i have used it though, i spray very light coats on at a time n let sit for few mins, brush n re-spray....as mentioned above..does leave it slightly darker then the rest, but when i brush it, it kinda *blends* out....i havent had the clumpy feeling, but again, maybe i havent sprayed a heavy enuf coat to get any clumping, i have though through exp brushed lil sooner than i should have and had clumping, but not if i let the spot sit a few extra mins though. again, i tryt o use it as a last resort, cuz 98% of the time, its really hard to get a good match with what is at my work place