PDA

View Full Version : Removing trunk badging

Pages : [1] 2

Striker
04-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Hey guys,

Like the title says, I want them badges GONE! My new 2011 Altima has a total of 5 badges on it and it`s simply overkill.

I have the basic plan all maped out, I will be using a hair dryer as opposed to a heat gun, just to be safe and probably some dental floss or other thin wire.

My concerns is getting the residue glue off the paint safely without marring it too much. Thoughts?

Ben@3D
04-19-2011, 05:33 PM
There are some good gum and tar removers out there that are safe on paint and wont mar. They can be used to remove glue as well.

Striker
04-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks Ben.

Are you familiar with the product Goo Gone?

Ben@3D
04-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks Ben.

Are you familiar with the product Goo Gone?

I have heard of it from others, but not actually tried it. Seems retailish and not as strong as other products. It should be safe on paint though.

Legacy
04-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Debadged my 2009 Altima when new with Goo Gone, but had to finish off with 91% alcohol. Used a hair dryer and monofiliment fishing line.
Hey guys,

Like the title says, I want them badges GONE! My new 2011 Altima has a total of 5 badges on it and it`s simply overkill.

I have the basic plan all maped out, I will be using a hair dryer as opposed to a heat gun, just to be safe and probably some dental floss or other thin wire.

My concerns is getting the residue glue off the paint safely without marring it too much. Thoughts?

Dr. Woo
04-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I used Professional Strength Goof Off for my badges (and some nasty paint-like residue on a quarter panel) and while I haven`t checked it out with a halogen light yet, I didn`t notice any real marring to speak of. Just light, constant rubbing did the job. Only thing I noticed was that it stripped my LSP. Obviously.

5pointadam
04-19-2011, 10:17 PM
We usually find that some polishing is needed. If ur gonna do the dab and wipe method only goo gone is fine, but if you can get your hands on some TR2 you may find that more useful. Also, just be sure to change the corner of the towel that you are using often to avoid scuffing. Also, don`t make the area too hot because the paint can swell.

Striker
04-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Alright thanks all. I`ll give goo gone a shot as I have some in the house.

Kean
04-20-2011, 09:18 AM
....like Legacy, I`ve used a hair dryer and fishing line in the past. Any tape that was left over I simply heated and rolled off with my thumb. The residue was easily taken care of with a B&T remover. ....I then polished and LSP`d.

Accumulator
04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
I debadge almost everything, I`m kinda extreme about it :o

Striker- Use the fishing line or dental floss, not wire. You might find clay helpful when cleaning up the residue, but note that it won`t play nice with the adhesive removing solvents.

Make certain the badges in question are just glued on, not pinned (sometimes it`s surprising which ones aren`t just glued). Sounds like Legacy99 didn`t have any surprises, but things change from model year to model year.

TedFred
04-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Did you debadge your M3???

Accumulator
04-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Did you debadge your M3???

Nah...I sold it ;) But I *would* have debadged it had I kept it. I almost always debadge the "performance version" vehicles, been doing it since the `70s. I simply despise having that "this is the fast, expensive model!" gingerbread on my vehicles (no, I don`t mind it at all on somebody else`s).

Blinky
04-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Waxed dental floss works swell. I use quite a few strands, however, to remove a badge because the floss frays and eventually breaks. I`ve never had to use heat. For removing the residue that won`t come off using finger power I like De*Solv*It, Contractors` Solvent. It also works beautifully at removing stuck-on tar (the sort that Tarminator failed on).

De Solv It :: Shop (http://www.desolvitshop.co.uk/acatalog/DIY_Contractors_Solvent.html)

Accumulator
04-23-2011, 11:47 AM
..I like De*Solv*It, Contractors` Solvent...

What does that smell like? I have their "consumer level" product and it has the most incredibly pungent smell...simply incredible how strong the odor is!

Striker
04-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Removed the badges yesterday with a heat gun and some fishing line. Didn`t even take 20 minutes including me washing the trunk lid after just to insure everything was off.