zero9nine
04-17-2011, 10:25 PM
I need help removing some black "Stains" from my control arms. see pics

So far I have tried:

1. p21s total auto wash with a brush

2. P21s Metal soap

3. Blue Magic with bras wire brush

4. Blue Magic with Steel wool

The stains have been reduced by some remain.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

John

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/zero9nine/CIMG3972.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/zero9nine/CIMG3973.jpg

Lonnie
04-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Have you tried a mild break-dust cleaner, like P21S Gel, or Eagle-One A2Z? I wouldn`t use something like Megs Detailer Line Wheel Brightener, even diluted to 10:1 because those control arms look like cast/forged aluminum that are subject to etching from use of acid-based cleaners. But if P21S soap or Blue Magic and steel wool didn`t remove those "stains", they may be more imbedded into the metal that can safely be removed by chemical means.

Maybe mild abrasives may be in order, like Meg`s M105 or M205. I`d start with the milder of the polishes/abrasives you have, and work you way up on a test spot.

Do you have a Dremel tool or even a cordless drill and some 1/8" spindle-like wool cylinders or cones available at most larger home-improvement stores to try "polishing" out these stains?

Let us know if something works and thanks for posting the pictures.

rdorman
04-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Try a non-chlorinated brake cleaner first. Now, this may sound nuts but black stains on aluminum are usually caused by an acid response. Don`t clean then with metal scouring pads either, only plastic scouring pads from scotchbright type pads to dish washing types.

Now for the crazy part. Three ounces of each Cream of Tartar, lemon juice or vinegar and a quart of boilng hot water and scrub (good gloves required). It works on aluminum cook ware so why not!

zero9nine
04-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the hints guys. I`ll post an update.

John