PDA

View Full Version : towels?

JMV
04-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Where should I go for some really high quality polishing, quick detailing, and drying towels?? I had used products from exceldetail.com before, but it doesn`t appear to be the same company anymore, and I`m not sure on their products.

Thanks,

Jason

chris03tl
04-16-2011, 09:11 AM
I recently started a similar thread.

The consensus seems to be PakShak

Kean
04-16-2011, 11:29 AM
In either case, I would strongly urge you to buy in sample quantities before committing yourself to a large order. Make sure the towels meet your standards first. IMO/IME, quality and characteristics can change even between batches from the same source. ....I like the Pak Shak towels myself but I would still recommend ordering just a few to test initially.

Accumulator
04-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Where should I go for some really high quality polishing, quick detailing, and drying towels?? I had used products from exceldetail.com before, but it doesn`t appear to be the same company anymore, and I`m not sure on their products.

Thanks,

Jason

AFAIK, exceldetail.com just had a name change to West Coast Detail Supply Home (http://westcoastdetailsupply.com/)

I`m sure Patrick will still stand behind his offerings.

But you sure won`t go wrong with PakShak either.

BigAl3
04-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks,

Jason

it`s still the same company, patrick just changed his name from exceldetail (.com) to westcoastdetailsupply (.com)

if anything call and ask for him, he`s a very nice guy and great to do business with...

JMV
04-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Oh okay. I didn`t see all of what I was looking for there, so I think I`ll try Pakshack.

And thanks for the suggestions on ordering small batches Kean, but honestly it won`t make much difference. I`m just now getting back into detailing stuff on my daily driver which unfortunately has been very poorly cared for recently... any of these towels will be a world of difference from what its gotten used to.

Anyway. Can you guys recommend the microfiber washmits from there as well?

Accumulator
04-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Can you guys recommend the microfiber washmits from there as well?

Which MF mitts are you referring to?

I haven`t found any MF mitts that I was 100% satisfied with for a long time...

chris03tl
04-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Which MF mitts are you referring to?

I haven`t found any MF mitts that I was 100% satisfied with for a long time...

Not trying to steal the thread, but any suggestions on any other type of mitt? I prefer a natural mitt (vs trying to find a good quality Boars head brush) but WalMart doesnt carry the Eurow mitts anymore so I cant cherry pick a good one in person.

As far as the PakShak mitts go, the blue ones on clearance I think Im going to use for interior use. The beige colored ones I dont think Id chance on my paint.

Accumulator
04-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Not trying to steal the thread, but any suggestions on any other type of mitt? I prefer a natural mitt (vs trying to find a good quality Boars head brush) but WalMart doesnt carry the Eurow mitts anymore so I cant cherry pick a good one in person...

BHBs don`t completely replace mitts anyhow, at least not IME.

I just order my sheepskin mitts online from the various vendors who participate here.

As far as the PakShak mitts go, the blue ones on clearance I think Im going to use for interior use. The beige colored ones I dont think Id chance on my paint.

I`ve never tried their MF mitts, but what don`t you like about the beige ones? Do they pass the CD-test?

chris03tl
04-17-2011, 10:56 AM
I should have clarified my response (Sunday morning before coffee = ugh): for mitts I prefer to see them up close and in person, and I havent always heard great things about microfiber mitts in general. Id use them for things other than paint, at least not without being able to thoroughly test one or get it in person (and unfortunately Im not making it to Hawaii anytime soon!)

Legacy
04-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Get the GTechniq sheep skin mitt. Even better than the Raceglaze mitt.
Not trying to steal the thread, but any suggestions on any other type of mitt? I prefer a natural mitt (vs trying to find a good quality Boars head brush) but WalMart doesnt carry the Eurow mitts anymore so I cant cherry pick a good one in person.

Accumulator
04-18-2011, 12:05 PM
The primary issues (AFAIK) with MF mitts are related to retaining dirt, not rinsing clean.

That can happen with certain types of sheepskin too; I have a *very* nice, soft one from Griot`s that seems almost "spun" in that it`s very fine and "web-like", not as much like "typical animal hair" as my other sheepskin mitts. That fine mitt can retain gritty dirt like you wouldn`t believe, so I have to be very careful what I use it for.

What`re the verious issues with different sheepskin mitts? I mean...we`d like them to last a long time and be generally well-made, sure. But other than "how plush do you want", and "thumb or no thumb", I`d think they`re all pretty much the same if you`re buying natural sheepskin :think: I`m usually a *very* particular comsumer, sheesh, I go overboard on all sorts of picky little details about stuff...but I never think much about my sheepskin mitts, I just add them to an order every now and then and other than noticing that Griot`s one was different I`ve just never given them much thought :nixweiss

sparklingdetail
04-21-2011, 07:11 AM
I consent with Kean`s comment that you should buy the product in sample at first. After getting confidence in the product, you should go for large order.

As per my experience, Griot & Meguiar microfiber wash mitts are good. You could check out their reviews here

Reviews: Griot`s Micro Fiber Wash Mitt (http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-10268-Micro-Fiber/product-reviews/B003POJ1DU/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)

Reviews: Meguiar`s Microfiber Wash Mitt (http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X3002-Microfiber-Wash-Mitt/product-reviews/B000RXKR6M/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)

Accumulator
04-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I don`t get the appeal of the "muppet" type MF mitts (e.g., the Griot`s) :nixweiss Broad strands are the exact opposite of what *I* want...I`d greatly prefer the "regular" type (e.g., the Meguiar`s one) even if it is much more likely to retain gritty stuff.