PDA

View Full Version : Striping with a citrus wash and or dishwashing liquid before clay.

DTCM
04-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Who does it,why and what are the advantages vs just a wash then clay?

gmblack3
04-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Using dawn or a stronger soap will remove previous waxes.

Bert
04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Who does it,why and what are the advantages vs just a wash then clay?

If I am only refreshing the current wax or sealant (Last Step Product - LSP) with a fresh coat of the same LSP, I usually won`t strip the current LSP off, just wash it, clay it then LSP it. If I am going to clean the paint then I will wash with Citrus Wash and Clear (or once I use that up, Top of the Line`s Prep Wash), then clay, then paint cleaner or All-in-One (AIO) then LSP. I seems to me clay does a better job on a bare surface than over a layer of LSP. Might all be in my head but since the paint cleaner or AIO will remove the current LSP regardless, I figure I might as well take it off during the wash.

Accumulator
04-15-2011, 12:53 PM
I don`t bother stripping the existing LSP unless I have a *very* good reason do do so, and I hardly ever do.

The only reasons I`d do it are:

-so much layered LSP that it might cause issues with polishing (rarely an issue)

-contamination under/through the existing LSP

-changing LSPs and wanting to "clean slate" it so it`s just the new LSP on ther

-maybe (and this is a stretch) if I`m trying to do an aggressive clay job with a very mild clay

-otherwise want to get down to bare paint for some specific [insert your own] reason

David Fermani
04-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Dawn before claying and after final polising for me. If I need a heavy stripper I`ll just use OPC.