PDA

View Full Version : Clay lube

cptzippy
04-14-2011, 11:43 AM
What do you use and why? Is there a difference in them? I`ve used Prima Glide, Prima Slick, Meg`s QD, and ONR dilution and don`t know that I`ve been able to tell a difference.

imported_pdsterns
04-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Diluted ONR works fine, you just don`t want the clay to drag, ie it should slide over the surface without sticking. Price wise it`s about as cheap as you could get. I wash a panel with the ONR, dry and then spray with diluted ONR and clay and dry.

Accumulator
04-15-2011, 12:47 PM
I usually use Glyde. Pricey as all get out, and so "soapy" that I always do some kind of cleanup afterwards, but it works better for me than anything else.

And yeah, I`ve tried shampoo mixes of various strengths, ONR, the Clay Magic lube, and various QDs. I still use some of those others from time to time (especially for a quickie spot-clay while washing), but overall the Glyde works so much better for me that I prefer it.

But unless somebody experiences a similar diff, I sure don`t think they oughta spend any time/effort/money on finding a "better" lube. Another case of not trying to fix that which isn`t broken.

D_Nyholm
04-15-2011, 06:21 PM
I use ONR. I actually mixed one batch up way too concentrated and ended up dropping 2 bars of clay! It is VERY slick. That ended up being an expensive mistake.

David Fermani
04-15-2011, 10:04 PM
ONR is my go to lube too, but also like using HD TOTAL/3D Waterless wash too. Make sure to keep your clay clean: http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/133559-how-make-your-favorite-clay-last-alot-longer.html

Accumulator
04-16-2011, 12:18 PM
I use ONR. I actually mixed one batch up way too concentrated and ended up dropping 2 bars of clay! It is VERY slick. That ended up being an expensive mistake.

FWIW, I tear my clay into fairly small pieces, then if I drop one (or six) it`s no big deal. Also easier for me to keep track of how contaminated it gets.

SVR
04-26-2011, 05:15 AM
I made my own because none satisfied me, were too expensive, ruined the clay block or affected surface tension (something that is critical to polishing performance and ease of use)

Surly
04-26-2011, 07:02 AM
I made my own because none satisfied me, were too expensive, ruined the clay block or affected surface tension (something that is critical to polishing performance and ease of use)

And you made it out of......