PDA

View Full Version : Claybar at the carwash?

TimL
04-09-2011, 10:42 PM
I`ve got an `07 F150 with Oxford White paint.

My truck is a Michigan daily driver.

Every spring I spend hours trying to remove all the little rust spots left behind by brake dust and road salt stuck the truck`s finish.

I`ve always bucket washed my truck.

I can remove the majority of the little spots by rubbing them off with my fingernails while I`m washing the truck.

I was thinking, if rubbing the spots with my fingernails works, maybe I could use a little claybar while I`m washing the truck.

Is there any reason I couldn`t use claybar while I`m washing the truck?

That is as long as there`s clean soapy water on the paint`s surface?

Does anyone do this?

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,

Tim

David Fermani
04-09-2011, 10:51 PM
You can certainly try doing the standard clay route <or> check out a product call Iron-X which dissolves these contaminants. Haven`t personally tried it, but I`ve spoke to a few that have and they swear by it`s performance. Here`s an interesting video:

YouTube - IronX testing on white Civic Si (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg7t0XWtmR8&feature=related)

C. Charles Hahn
04-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Here`s another recent thread showing IronX in use on a white truck:

New Car CQuartz detail - 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/34597-new-car-cquartz-detail-2011-tacoma-trd-sport.html)

I am placing an order for IronX within the next couple days as well to try out on my own Michigan-based daily driven vehicles. I`ll be sure to post a review once I get my hands on it.

On that note, where in Michigan are you located? If you`re anywhere near Lansing I`d be willing to let you stop by and give it a try for yourself if you`re interested.

David Fermani
04-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Ahhh, I smell a group buy coming....

TimL
04-09-2011, 11:28 PM
IronX looks like it does the trick.

Autogeek has a spray and a soap.

I think I`m going to order a bottle of spray myself.

Maybe I can finally stop cursing the white paint on my truck!

Accumulator
04-10-2011, 12:23 PM
IronX looks like it does the trick.

Autogeek has a spray and a soap.

I think I`m going to order a bottle of spray myself.

Maybe I can finally stop cursing the white paint on my truck!

Noting that I haven`t used it yet.....I got the soap instead of the spray. For *ME* it seemed like the better choice as I think I`ll have greater control over the application.

I`ve only used the "B" stuff from AutoInt/ValuGard for this, but I wouldn`t like spraying that product, preferring to put it on with a mitt/etc. The soap is kinda thick (maybe coffee cream thick? Moreso than water, but not a gel...hard to describe) and I think it`ll be really user-friendly.

If you go with the spray, I`d sure wear eye protection, even though these products are generally milder than I woulda expected.

And yeah, IME decontamination like this is better than claying when it comes to ferrous contamination/rust-blooms. Just do a nice, thorough job and let the stuff dwell for a good long time.