PDA

View Full Version : The What LSP/Wax have you tried on top of OptiCoat Thread

cptzippy
04-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Ok, so it may not be totally (or at all) necessary to top OptiCoat with an LSP but if you`re an autopian ya know you want to. So what have you tried? What did you think of the result? How long did it last?

Personally thinking about a couple of things when I do get opticoat on: Dodo Juice carnuba (don`t know which one yet) and a bevy of spray waxes (OCW, Prima Hydro, Dodo red mist)

spotter
04-08-2011, 01:54 PM
I have tried OptiSeal, Ultima, Danase Wet Glaze, and Optimum Car Wax. Just last week I applied the DWG and Ultima x 2 and it looks really good but personally I think the OptiCoat compromises the durability of anything you put on it. A good ONR wash looks as good as anything else but for a temporary "pop" you can use anything but I wouldn`t expect much more than a good quick detail on steroids in durability. That is why OptiSeal and Ultima (wipe on walk away) products are my choice or OCW sprayed on an ONR wash before drying is even easier.

Truthfully the OptiCoat with an ONR wash looks great but the Autopian in me wants more.

Pollen season is just now kicking in gear in my area and I am trying to compare my car with a few other well maintained cars at my office to see if OptiCoat is more resilient to pollen buildup....I know it will clean up much easier. Early results look promising but it is too early to make a definitive statement.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Topping Opti-Coat/Gaurd negates of the my favorite attributes of the product - it`s hydrophobic water shedding abilities.

cptzippy
04-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Topping Opti-Coat/Gaurd negates of the my favorite attributes of the product - it`s hydrophobic water shedding abilities.

I`ve seen varying accounts of just how well it does shed. Most seems to say (and on you tube show) it sheds very well but then a couple have said that it falls behind other coatings in that regard. Also, saw one review that said it lacked slickness.

How do you think QDs affect that shedding Deep Gloss?

RaskyR1
04-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Agreed! Plus waxes and sealants attract more dust.

Scottwax
04-08-2011, 03:15 PM
I do on my own car just to try stuff out, plus I have the peace of mind knowing if for some reason all I have time to do for a long stretch is just regular ONR washes, I still have great protection when whatever is on top wears off.

My usual topper is OCW, but I`ve also tried Carnauba Moose and Migliore Frutta, both of which added some decent depth.

richy
04-08-2011, 11:47 PM
I`ve seen varying accounts of just how well it does shed. Most seems to say (and on you tube show) it sheds very well but then a couple have said that it falls behind other coatings in that regard. Also, saw one review that said it lacked slickness.

How do you think QDs affect that shedding Deep Gloss?

I have a You Tube video showing a comparison of AQuartz, CQuartz and Opti Coat on my old FX35. Opti Coat is at its best when you sheet it with water. It comes damn near dry. It was also me saying that it lacks slickness. CQ has more slickness than OC. Having said that, adding ReLoad to either one increases the slickness and adds to the sheeting ability. Reload is a must have product!!