PDA

View Full Version : New here would like some tips

aretardedorange
04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Hello :wavey. I was suggested to come here by the BMW/Acura forums. I have a 08 BMW E60 and a 08 Acura TL. Both are gray. The BMW is space gray metallic while the Acura is polished metal metallic.

My vision is to make both my cars shine and sparkle. The polished metal metallic is a dark gray almost graphite but not quite. The space gray is a light gray almost looks like blue at certain times.

I try myself to detail the cars but I always have problems. For one water marks...I can`t get rid of them. Any tips on how to avoid these? After washing the windows I wipe them off but they still are visible.

Sometimes after waxing I notice smudges from the wax how can I prevent this? Recently I have been noticing after washing both my cars the towels like to cling onto the paint and its not smooth at all. Shouldn`t the paint be smooth as glass after washing? After waxing the cars it does feel smooth but not before. I think I should claybar?

These are the tools I have right now. I really need some new items so please suggest away I am on a budget so under $100. I wax and wash by hand. I don`t think I can find a budget polishing machine.

Meguiars ultimate wash and wax-Use it to wash the car

Meguiars NXT 2.0 Wax-Use it to wax the car

I have a Meguiars claybar kit that I am planning on using in two weeks. The NXT 2.0 does not really make my car shine. Its not a carnauba wax its a synthetic wax.

So please help me out.

imported_pdsterns
04-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Hey Orange, welcome to the forum, there is lots to learn here and you are definitely at a disadvantage without any tools but maybe you can build your equipment slowly. Go over the car carefully and remove any sap with Isopropy alcohol, any tar with bug and tar remover and then wash the car and dry. Next get out you clay and go over the whole car, use plenty of lube and get the paint clean of surface contaminates. That`s a good safe start and I am sure you will notice the difference in the feel of the paint. Pick a good wax like NXT tech wax and apply with a small sponge pad, put it on as thin as possible, remember, thin and it will remove easily. Set your sights on getting a Porter Cable and a few pads you will be more than pleased with that tool and a bottle of Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, it will add another dimension to your work.