PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Scratch

jw
04-03-2011, 02:33 PM
I have got a good size scratch in my Porsche windshield. I must`ve had something in between the windshield and the the blade. What can I use? I`ve tried Griots glass polish by hand but it didn`t do anything. Any other recommendations.?

JohnZ3MC
04-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Diamondite. Eastmans, and J.C. Whitney offer kits to repair windshield scratches.

I`ve personally used the the J.C. Whitney kit to remove some nasty wiper scratches from the wife`s windshield. It was a slow process but it worked very well. No distortion to speak of, or at least, none that I noticed.

The Eastman`s and J.C. Whitney kits were around 40 bucks usd and were virtually identical. They included a felt mandrel for an electric drill and a package of cerium oxide. It`s a fine glass polish that is used for optical (telescope) lenses.

In a nutshell, make a thick slurry with the cerium oxide and use the felt mandrel to gradually polish out the scratch. Polish, stop, inspect, repeat. Broad strokes while polishing to keep distortion to a minimum.

My task took nearly two hours so it`s not a quick fix but it was a very satisfactory fix.

Apparently cerium oxide is very slightly radioactive, sort of like the watch faces of old. So, all the left over cerium oxide should not be stored in your front pocket. I keep my extra stuff in my mother-in-law`s basement.

-John C.