PDA

View Full Version : scratched up my exhaust tips with a scotch brite pad, green side

flickshake
04-02-2011, 10:38 AM
I read that I was supposed to clean my stainless steel exhaust tips with #0000 steel wool... I thought if steel wool wouldn`t scratch up my tips, there is no way a scotch brite pad will... well that was a big mistake... anyone have any tips on how to remove scratching from stainless steel exhaust tips?

Paul Sparks
04-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I guess thats why its always best to do a test spot when not sure. For exhaust tip cleaning my go to product at this time is Optimum Metal Polish and before that it was Meguiars Metal polish. Either one of them is what I would try first.

5pointadam
04-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Probably shoulda went with either or the above metal polishes first. But for removing scratches from metal I recommend Allbrite Aluminum Polish. This stuff is burley so don`t use it unless you already have a problem or if you have dulled out aluminums.

C. Charles Hahn
04-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Are the tips removable? Personally I would probably pull them off and use a bench-mounted buffer with some white rouge compound to restore them if that`s an option. Past that a lot of elbow grease and something like Noxon 7 polish might be the best bet for scotchbrite marring.

Durddy
04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
I read that I was supposed to clean my stainless steel exhaust tips with #0000 steel wool... I thought if steel wool wouldn`t scratch up my tips, there is no way a scotch brite pad will... well that was a big mistake... anyone have any tips on how to remove scratching from stainless steel exhaust tips?

Just out of curiosity, did you use anything as a lube while using the scotchbrite? Even #0000 steel wool seems to scratch if used dry.

flickshake
04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Durddy,

I used Optimum Metal Polish.

AlexRuiz
04-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Somebody here had mentioned that 3D metal polish works wonders. I haven`t tried yet though.....