PDA

View Full Version : BMW Rubber Trim

Beemerboy
02-13-2006, 11:02 AM
I`m working on a 1985 325i BMW that is in fair condition for its year and mileage...Anywho the paint is coming together real well, but I`m wondering what to use on the rubber....When I washed the car I use a APC and plastic brush to get all the oxidation off....As an experiment I used some PB TR and that seemed to make it look better but that soaked in like a sponge. I also have a product called bumper coat that is from a local company that is a heavy based oil type...that goes on but again soaks in....OK now for the question....anyone know of product/s that can really clean and add LIFE back into the rubber...thanks

G35stilez
02-13-2006, 11:04 AM
2-3 layers of Trim Restorer 10 mins apart, then wait 30 mins and give a final buff with a clean, dry MF, works great for me.

The next step would be to go to www.topoftheline.com and get the trim clean, dye, and seal kit. It works well, but is a bit pricey. The Poorboy`s route will last over a month and look much better than it has.

Poorboy
02-13-2006, 11:14 AM
that rubber is over 20 years old Dave...don`t expect mirracles as the rubber has probably dried quite a bit and will continue to suck product in. :(

Beemerboy
02-13-2006, 11:32 AM
that rubber is over 20 years old Dave...don`t expect mirracles as the rubber has probably dried quite a bit and will continue to suck product in. :(

I understand Steve was hoping that some might have some suggestions that where different from what I was doing...I almost get the feeling like I could wet sand down the surface and then buff to smooth out and add oils back into the new rubber....I know that sounds crazy

tubafeak
02-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Try going over it with a magic eraser lightly (wet) to get off the top layer of dead rubber. Then go over it with a couple of coats of TR 10-15 mins apart. If that doesn`t have it looking better than the trim is probably too far gone for you to be of any help, paint it and look for a replacemnent.

onemeanmachine
02-13-2006, 03:33 PM
I`ve used the same method as Tubafeak is suggesting many times on old trim and rubber molding and have had good results. I`ve cleaned up some nasty trim with that method, but if it does work it will still need to be treated regularly to make sure it lasts. Good luck!

GregCavi
02-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Try going over it with a magic eraser lightly (wet) to get off the top layer of dead rubber. Then go over it with a couple of coats of TR 10-15 mins apart. If that doesn`t have it looking better than the trim is probably too far gone for you to be of any help, paint it and look for a replacemnent.

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12255&highlight=trim+restoration

Same Concept ^

Greg

tubafeak
02-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Where do you think I got the idea?

Thanks BTW, it`s helped a lot a couple of times.

Beemerboy
02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the advice I was wndering how I was going to get the dead layer of rubber off this ME sounds like the trick...I`m all over it!