PDA

View Full Version : FK1000P--How Do I Use This Stuff?--Any advice, tips, etc?

Pages : [1] 2 3

globe9
03-29-2011, 04:54 PM
I got some Finish Kare 1000P based on the advice and recommendations of some of the more experienced board members here. Well it came in yesterday and I plan on applying it this weekend.

I`m not familiar with this paste wax and was hoping I could get some instructions, advice, and tips.

I have a Black Nissan Rogue. I`ve only used AG HD Wax on it for the year I`ve had it.

I also got some Griot`s Car Wash. So I plan on washing with the Griot`s Car Wash first. Normally I use Aquawax when drying the car to help eliminate the water spots(the car dries faster than I can dry it down here in NOLA). I`m assuming I shouldn`t use Aquawax this time, since I plan on applying the FK1000P after the wash.

Also, should I strip the AG HD wax that may still be on there(I last waxed it around the end of February). If so, should I just use Dawn soap? Will this be necessary?

Ok, so onto applying the FK1000P. Am I correct in thinking that I should apply this VERY thin. Like as thin as I can get? Also, do I do one panel at a time? Bascially apply a thin coat to one section, allow to haze, and then buff off? Or do I apply to the entire car first and then buff off?

Will it remove easily? I know it stains trim, so I have to be VERY careful around the black trim pieces, silver emblems, etc.

Any advice on application? I will be applying by hand. Should I apply in small circular motion while applying some pressure?

Also, I jave to apply in direct sunlight. I don`t have a garage, carport, or any kind of cover. I was planning on either doing this very early in the morning or more likely, late in the afternoon when the sun isn`t too bad. It`s already in the 80`s here.

Sorry for the long post. Just want to make sure I do this right and to the best of my ability and I trust and appreciate ya`lls advice.

Anything else, please mention it. Thanks!

Accumulator
03-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I also got some Griot`s Car Wash. So I plan on washing with the Griot`s Car Wash first. Normally I use Aquawax when drying the car to help eliminate the water spots(the car dries faster than I can dry it down here in NOLA). I`m assuming I shouldn`t use Aquawax this time, since I plan on applying the FK1000P after the wash...

I think that`s a safe assumption; don`t risk messing with the FK1000P`s bonding. BUT...see below for more on this.

Also, should I strip the AG HD wax that may still be on there(I last waxed it around the end of February). If so, should I just use Dawn soap? Will this be necessary?

I would strip it. I dunno if I`d do a Dawn wash for that, but if you do I`d do a regular wash first (Dawn lacks lubricity and that makes it risky marring-wise as grit might scratch that otherwise wouldn`t).

But what I`d really do is some kind of paint cleaning. Yeah, I know...one more step and what a PIA, but I really would. Something quick, easy, and sealant-friendly like KAIO. That`ll make the whole thing go a lot better IMO.

Ok, so onto applying the FK1000P. Am I correct in thinking that I should apply this VERY thin. Like as thin as I can get? Also, do I do one panel at a time? Bascially apply a thin coat to one section, allow to haze, and then buff off? Or do I apply to the entire car first and then buff off?...Any advice on application? I will be applying by hand. Should I apply in small circular motion while applying some pressure?

I`ve done it both ways with no problems. Yeah, thin as you can get it, but FK1000P is sometimes a "hard paste product" so the uber-thin thing can be easier said than done. My last tin was softer, so maybe it just varies :nixweiss

If it`s really hard, consider slightly dampening your applicator with FK425 (if you have it). No, it doesn`t compromise the durability IME.

Circular motions with a bit of pressure oughta work fine. It`s not a product I wipe on *SUPER* lightly like a liquid, that`s for sure.

Will it remove easily? I know it stains trim, so I have to be VERY careful around the black trim pieces, silver emblems, etc.

I think it buffs off easily, but maybe that`s just me :think: I`ve also used it on trim without staining, but a) you gotta be *really* thin so there`s no residue stuck in the texture, and b) you gotta wipe-on-wipe-off pretty fast. There`s not much margin for error so maybe you oughta just keep it off it after all.

Sorry for the long post. Just want to make sure I do this right and to the best of my ability and I trust and appreciate ya`lls advice.

Hey, that`s not too long, good Qs and you explained your situation well. I don`t expect any problems, but do a section and then inspect the [heck] out of it to make sure everything`s OK.

Anything else, please mention it.

I wouldn`t try to do another coat until after the next (regularly scheduled) wash lest you risk pseudo-holograms.

globe9
03-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks so much for the advice and tips Accumulator! I really do appreciate it.

KAIO is Klasse all in one right? I`m not sure I can get this locally. Does anyone know a national retailer(Pep Boys, CarQuest, Advance Auto, Autozone, Napa, etc) that might sell that?

In the absence of getting that(If I have to order it, I probably won`t be able to do this this coming weekend)....is there another product I can use(more easily found locally) that will also accomplish stripping any AG HD wax that may be left on the car.

Also, if I do get my hands on KAIO, this means I can use the Griots wash, then dry, then apply the KAIO and then apply the FK1000P?

Thanks again, just making sure. Since I`m going to be doing so much work to the car, I want to make sure I`m doing it right.

Oh and Accumulator I don`t have any FK425, but I do have Meg`s Ultimate Detailer and DG Aquawax. Would either of those work?

LOL, now that I`m thinking about it. Maybe I should clay too. I`ve never worked with clay before. From what I understand, I spray a quick detailer(would the Meg`s work here?) on the area to be clayed. This would be a smallish area right? Then how do I apply the clay? Just rub it on the car? Or do I do more of a dab on the paint, push down hard and lift up? Which clay would be best(again found locally) Meg`s, etc?

Thanks!!!!!

akimel
03-29-2011, 09:10 PM
If you can`t find KAIO, you might try looking for Duragloss 501. Like KAIO, it too is a cleaner sealant and should work well with FK 1000p. But I imagine that claying the car would effectively remove any remaining wax on the paint and well prepare it for the 1000p.

I have found 1000p to be easy to apply and buff off. It is a hard wax, but I don`t think you will find it difficult to get it onto the foam applicator and then onto the paint. I apply it to the entire car and allow it to dry to a haze and then buff off. I had no problems whatsoever. On the advice of both Bence and the manufacturer, I waited 18+ hours before applying the second coat.

Don`t make a quick judgment about the looks. It takes a couple of days for the sealant to take on its signature look.

And I think you`ll be very pleased with its durability.

Accumulator
03-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Also, if I do get my hands on KAIO, this means I can use the Griots wash, then dry, then apply the KAIO and then apply the FK1000P?

Right. You`d do the same if you go with the DuraGloss stuff.

Oh and Accumulator I don`t have any FK425, but I do have Meg`s Ultimate Detailer and DG Aquawax. Would either of those work?

I wouldn`t use either of those for the "dampen the applicator" thing. But I doubt you`ll need to do that anyhow.

LOL, now that I`m thinking about it. Maybe I should clay too. I`ve never worked with clay before. From what I understand, I spray a quick detailer(would the Meg`s work here?) on the area to be clayed. This would be a smallish area right? Then how do I apply the clay? Just rub it on the car? Or do I do more of a dab on the paint, push down hard and lift up? Which clay would be best(again found locally) Meg`s, etc?

Noting that I`m (usually) a big proponent of claying, since you`ve already polished I.m not sure whether you oughta clay at this time. It`s quite possible that you will instill some (hopefully mild) marring. Eh...I guess it`s more of my Autopian Heresy, but I`d say to skip the claying this time. It`s not like we didn`t get by just fine without clay for decades, and this is a new black vehicle, and...eh, it`d just be opening a potential can of worms.

Claying in a nutshell:

-tear claybar into a few smaller pieces, use one at a time

-spritz on QD/clay lube

-flatten clay and then rub gently on the lubed area, letting the clay glide along on a film of lube (clay shouldn`t actually contact the paint)

-stop to inspect/knead/replace clay frequently; as it picks up contaminants it basically turns into sandpaper (!)

-wash clayed area to remove residual clay and lube.

If you can`t find KAIO, you might try looking for Duragloss 501...

Is DG 501 trim-friendly the way KAIO is?

On the advice of both Bence and the manufacturer, I waited 18+ hours before applying the second coat.

That wasn`t long enough for me (nice warm shop too :think: ), I got those pseudo-holograms even when I waited more than a day. The experience has made me awfully nervous about the whole layering interval thing; now I wait for at least a week, or at least until after it`s done its "change as it cures" that you alluded to. Fortunately, one coat of FK1000P protects just fine, so IMO it`s not like you`re cutting corners by not layering right away.

akimel
03-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Is DG 501 trim-friendly the way KAIO is?

I don`t know. Except for UPGP and UQW, I don`t apply my waxes and sealants on my trim. I don`t have your boldness. :)

That wasn`t long enough for me (nice warm shop too :think: ), I got those pseudo-holograms even when I waited more than a day. The experience has made me awfully nervous about the whole layering interval thing; now I wait for at least a week, or at least until after it`s done its "change as it cures" that you alluded to. Fortunately, one coat of FK1000P protects just fine, so IMO it`s not like you`re cutting corners by not layering right away.

I have begun to wonder whether waiting until the next wash might not be a good practice for most waxes and sealants, especially on my black car. Just a wondering.

Accumulator
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I don`t know. Except for UPGP and UQW, I don`t apply my waxes and sealants on my trim. I don`t have your boldness. :)

Heh heh, "boldness" is a nice, polite way to put it :chuckle: I can think of other words when it comes to applying such stuff to black trim!

Imagine how I felt when I put 476S on the Volvo`s rubber and plastic trim :nervous2: ....hey, "live to tell", right?

I took the black plastic grille off my Crown Vic (wanted a chrome one) and I plan to use it for such testing in the future, at least if I mess that up it won`t be a biggie.

I have begun to wonder whether waiting until the next wash might not be a good practice for most waxes and sealants, especially on my black car. Just a wondering.

Yeah, it was on the Carbon Metallic Yukon XLD that I got those pseudo-holograms, and sorting out something that big wasn`t fun. Other than KSG and my 845/476S combo, I *always* wait for the subsequent layers/applications. Once bitten and all that...

Striker
03-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Accumulator,

How much prep work would I need with the following scenario, assuming I wanna apply some 1000P:

Brand new car, previously clayed and currently has two coats of Zaino (Z2,Z5) Would I compromise the FK by simply applying it over the Zaino?

imported_Bert
03-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Accumulator,

How much prep work would I need with the following scenario, assuming I wanna apply some 1000P:

Brand new car, previously clayed and currently has two coats of Zaino (Z2,Z5) Would I compromise the FK by simply applying it over the Zaino?

You could apply it over the Z2, Z5 without problems. I generally like to strip the former LSP off and work on a fresh surface but that is not mandatory, just my personal preference.

globe9
03-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Ok, so I just bought some KAIO from autogeek. I won`t be able to detail the Rogue this weekend, but thats ok. I read about the KAIO and it sounds super easy to use. Seemed worth it to me :)

Unfortunately, I bought about 5 other things too LOL My GF who would still be using Dawn on her 2010 Dark Blue F-150(and NOT drying when its done, but just taking it for a spin around the block) if I didn`t teach her a thing or two about detailing, thinks I`m CRAZY. I told her she should read some of the posts on here and she`d see what crazy about detailing a car is LOL

1. So I got the KAIO(the small size for now...if I like it, I`ll get the next bigger size b/c the GF who makes fun of me, will all of a sudden be using my stuff I know).

2. A Grit Guard---never did pick one of these up

3. A lambswool mitt--the MF one I have now is about done and I figured it was time for a new one. I really wanted that Dodo Juice Wookie`s Fist, but for $35, I figured maybe I`ll ask the GF for that for Xmas and she`ll really think I`m nuts.

4. Some Griot`s Garage New Car Scent

5. A couple of new MF`s

6. Free Sample of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz(unfortunately I didn`t know about their free sample with every order and missed out on last week`s order :(

Will be planning a long day of detailing next weekend. I can`t wait! :)

Accumulator
03-31-2011, 12:03 PM
globe9- Since you have the KAIO I`d go ahead and use it. But I`ll defer to Bert`s opinion that the FK1000P would be OK over top of the Zaino. FK1000P works OK over stuff like Kaio/Zaio/SRP so I guess it oughta work fine over Zaino`s "regular polishes" (i.e., sealants) too.

Heh heh, if you detail that monster of a pickup for her, maybe your GF will better appreciate the whole detailing thing :D I know my wife has come to appreciate such stuff; she`s almost as nutty about her A8 as I am about my vehicles!

globe9
03-31-2011, 04:37 PM
globe9- Since you have the KAIO I`d go ahead and use it. But I`ll defer to Bert`s opinion that the FK1000P would be OK over top of the Zaino. FK1000P works OK over stuff like Kaio/Zaio/SRP so I guess it oughta work fine over Zaino`s "regular polishes" (i.e., sealants) too.

I`m a little confused...I don`t have any Zaino. I have a coat of AG HD on the Rogue now...I put it on around the end of February

My plan is to wash with the Griot`s Wash. Dry it. Apply the KAIO. Then apply the FK1000P. Is this ok? Thanks again!

.Heh heh, if you detail that monster of a pickup for her, maybe your GF will better appreciate the whole detailing thing :D I know my wife has come to appreciate such stuff; she`s almost as nutty about her A8 as I am about my vehicles!

Thanks again! I really appreciate all of the advice and tips. It really can get quite confusing and with all of the products out there, I was making myself nuts!

Accumulator
04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
globe9- Sorry, I was getting you mixed up with Sriker :o Sheesh....but the KAIO will work fine as a base for FK1000P and so will most "not too slick" sealants. I only added that "not too slick" bit because I could imagine it not bonding well to something like fresh UPP, but I can`t say for sure.

And yeah, it`s easy to get overwhelmed, between all the products on the market and all the opinions/advice here and elsewhere on the net!

nyakerz
04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Accumulator, do you consider Megs NXT Tech Wax 2.0 as a slick wax? =D

Accumulator
04-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Accumulator, do you consider Megs NXT Tech Wax 2.0 as a slick wax? =D

I can`t *really* say as I`ve only used it once (pal from the Jag Club who wanted it on his car), so :nixweiss

But probably not, at least in this context.