PDA

View Full Version : Change in Regimen after Coating?

cptzippy
03-29-2011, 02:47 PM
With the new permanent coatings coming out now (for example OPT Opticoat), I was wondering about care and feeding afterwards.

I figure washing remains the same but what about claying? Do you clay as often or at all? What about polishing? Does it remove the coating or do you get out fine swirls in the coating like you would clear coat?

Do you treat a finish with one of these coating different in other ways?

TIA,

Tony

David Fermani
03-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I actually tell my clients that they can now take their vehicle through the touchless wash w/o problems. The coating allows the surface to clean better and is not affected in any way by the strong cleaners. This way, you`ll never get any marring. Clay with super mild clay as needed, but be very consious of technique.

5pointadam
03-30-2011, 12:52 PM
We too tell our customers to use touchless drive throughs. We suggest using optimum`s gloss enhancer and some microfiber towels when doing final drying and touch ups. We`ve found that with regular washing the need for claying is virtually eliminated. We have had some customers come in with swirling on the opti-coat. We offer light DA polishing on them and have had very good results.

AeroCleanse
03-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Just wash as normal, that`s about all there is to maintenance. I have heard that rinsing alone is all that`s needed, have yet to see that myself.

Kean
03-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Good thread Tony. I am having similar concerns about post-maintenance…. For example, I`m reading that OC2 does not layer well and all traces of the previous coating must be removed prior to reapplication for optimum performance (no pun intended ;)). I know at some point I will need to address blemishes in my finish and that while OOC may be able to handle some light correction that I would want to do, I’m a little concerned that I would need to get more aggressive at some point to take the finish down to the clear coat if I want to re-apply.

Some of the descriptions I was hearing was that the product simply won’t play nice if a previous layer of the product still exists. In what way does it react? I know that if I do use this product, I will be applying it areas that my polisher will never be able to go (that I will need to do by hand prior to the initial application). …..crevices, creases, certain parts of panels, etc. When I do have to reapply OOC, I worry that I will have a heck of a time preparing these surfaces so I can either reapply the product or move on to something different.