PDA

View Full Version : Could this work instead of IPA?

solekeeper
03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Hey guys, been reading around alot and I saw an article on autogeek saying that IPA might not be safe enough to use on fresh paint.

My question is, since i`m in a body shop, would a pre-cleano work?

It`s something we use to strip off wax and silicone prior to painting. So I`m thinking this could work to take off oils in my compounds?

imported_sal329
03-29-2011, 04:47 PM
I am not sure a pre wax cleaner will do the job at hand. I have heard good things about Hi Temp Prep Wash and Majestic Solutions Power Prep as alternatives to IPA

Accumulator
03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
solekeeper- I suspect that nobody wants to go out on a limb and say that the PreKleano will be 100% safe, even though people wipe down freshly painted panels with it (in bodyshops) all the time. I mean...I`ve wiped fresh paint down with it (back in the day), even doing it between coats. Never had a single issue. But that doesn`t mean you won`t be unlucky ;)

solekeeper
03-29-2011, 08:35 PM
solekeeper- I suspect that nobody wants to go out on a limb and say that the PreKleano will be 100% safe, even though people wipe down freshly painted panels with it (in bodyshops) all the time. I mean...I`ve wiped fresh paint down with it (back in the day), even doing it between coats. Never had a single issue. But that doesn`t mean you won`t be unlucky ;)

lol so true about that last statement.

mongo
03-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Actually can`t you dilute the body solvents to clean polish residue better than IPA.

5pointadam
03-30-2011, 12:55 PM
ewww... a sticky question. The age old adage of test in an inconspicuous spot would be best adhered to.

lostdaytomorrow
03-30-2011, 08:03 PM
I would like to hear the "chemists" explain the chemical reaction between the IPA solution and the clear coat.

Street5927
03-31-2011, 07:34 AM
I would like to hear the "chemists" explain the chemical reaction between the IPA solution and the clear coat.

If you take the catalyst, isopropyl alcohol, which has a high collision frequency (meaning how quickly the molecules that make up the ipa) slam together, which is frequently, allowing it to dry quickly and given an integrated rate of 70% (concentration), and then combine it with the Hydrogen outlay as well as thermal infusion applied to the subtrate surface, the molecules break down too much to do any damage to the actual subtrate surface ( that being clear coat).

Well, actually, I am laying here on the couch, sick as a dog and have no idea what I am talking about....just thought this was an interesting request to have a chemist reply, so, not being anything near a chemist, and actually almost failing it in high school, some 18 years ago...oh well, you know what they say, "if you can`t dazzle them with intellect, baffle them with bulls**t. I better lay off the medicine for a while....lol