PDA

View Full Version : Haziness after IPA wipedown

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

chris03tl
03-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Ive tried this a few times already....polish section, looks really nice. There is a little product leftover (Gtechniq P1), so I IPA wipe the section to clean it off. Looks fine.

Come back a few hours later, its all hazed over. If I repolish the section, even by hand, you can see its now crystal clear again and you can see the spot where I stopped re-polishing (because that part is still hazy).

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that my microfibers are contaminated somehow. Going to put them through a few more rinse cycles just to be sure.

Legacy
03-25-2011, 06:27 PM
GTechniq P1 is water soluble so an IPA wipe down is not needed.
Ive tried this a few times already....polish section, looks really nice. There is a little product leftover (Gtechniq P1), so I IPA wipe the section to clean it off. Looks fine.

Come back a few hours later, its all hazed over. If I repolish the section, even by hand, you can see its now crystal clear again and you can see the spot where I stopped re-polishing (because that part is still hazy).

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that my microfibers are contaminated somehow. Going to put them through a few more rinse cycles just to be sure.

imported_DetailDan
03-25-2011, 06:38 PM
I`ve tried removing P1 with a 12% alcohol solution and it seems like there is something remaining.

chris01i30- what dilution of alcohol are you using, what car is it (year, make, model, color)?

5pointadam
03-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Did you wool pad this car? Or did you use a heavy cut compound? Is it black? We`ve found that even products that claim to have no silicone in them will still cover some haziness if they are not completely removed with an IPA. In our experience it is not the towel or a residue it is haze in the paint left behind in the compounding stage. I`m interested to hear if that`s it for you or if it is another issue. Best case scenario it`s something in the towel. Worst case go back with a light compound, then a mid polish with a mid pad, then light polish with finishing pad. We`ve had this issue with newer high gloss black Toyotas, but found that if we really break up the steps the final result is perfect.

chris03tl
03-25-2011, 07:20 PM
I know P1 doesnt need an IPA wipe down, but I seem to be having some product left over/dusting, so I wanted everything completely clean before LSP.

Im using a 50/50 mix of IPA and water. I went with P1 on a 4" Excel Erasure light polish pad, followed up by a 5.5" Lake Country hydro tech crimson "ultra finish" pad. Then the IPA wipedown to remove any bits of leftover polish.

Doing this on a 2011 Infiniti G37, Malbec Black (basically black with maroon/purple metal flake)

AeroCleanse
03-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Use plain water with P1.

Legacy
03-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Chris, I never IPA with P1 so I don`t know about the hazing. Perhaps the alcohol is reacting with the P1.. dunno. After P1 I just do a wash and LSP.
I know P1 doesnt need an IPA wipe down, but I seem to be having some product left over/dusting, so I wanted everything completely clean before LSP.

Im using a 50/50 mix of IPA and water. I went with P1 on a 4" Excel Erasure light polish pad, followed up by a 5.5" Lake Country hydro tech crimson "ultra finish" pad. Then the IPA wipedown to remove any bits of leftover polish.

Doing this on a 2011 Infiniti G37, Malbec Black (basically black with maroon/purple metal flake)

Thomas Dekany
03-25-2011, 08:39 PM
A 50/50 IPA maybe too strong for black. Use a lighter dilution and see if that helps. Are you using a pc or high speed?

chris03tl
03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Using a PC....want to learn rotary, but not on my shiny (well, sorta) new car.

Im not saying Im giving up, but I am starting over. Tomorrow Im going to give it another citrus wash at strip-wax levels, then Ill see what I have. If there is any haziness still present, I will re-polish. Cleaning all of the pads and rags tonight.

Ive had so much success working on other cars, I dont know why this is turning out to be such a nightmare. I figured P1 would be easier to work with than what I normally use (Poorboys SSR products), but no such luck so far.

Thomas Dekany
03-25-2011, 08:57 PM
I`d say it is the nissan paint - if you have been successfull on other colors and assuming that you used proper lighting to make sure that lighter colors don`t hide the defects. m2c

chris03tl
03-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Did you wool pad this car? Or did you use a heavy cut compound? Is it black? We`ve found that even products that claim to have no silicone in them will still cover some haziness if they are not completely removed with an IPA. In our experience it is not the towel or a residue it is haze in the paint left behind in the compounding stage. I`m interested to hear if that`s it for you or if it is another issue. Best case scenario it`s something in the towel. Worst case go back with a light compound, then a mid polish with a mid pad, then light polish with finishing pad. We`ve had this issue with newer high gloss black Toyotas, but found that if we really break up the steps the final result is perfect.

Sorry I missed your reply.

The only thing Ive used on the car are 5.5" Lake Country Hydro Tech pads (orange "light cut" and red "ultra finish"), and 4" Excel Erasure (white "light polish", red "semi finish", black "ultra finish"). There were a few spots I went with a more aggressive 4" pad (yellow "cut"), but the haze is all over the car.

Interesting thing is that I spritzed a section of one panel with just water, then went at it with the white erasure pad. The P1 acted just like fresh product, I worked it in using fairly quick strokes, then wiped it down. Panel had zero haze left. Im wondering if there was still product left over causing the haze? Tomorrow Im going to wash the car and see what comes of it. If there is no haze left, then it was probably just leftover product. At this point Im not very confident thats the problem, but I guess its worth a shot.

chris03tl
03-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I saved my inherited 2001 i30 (ruby red metallic, so far from a light color).

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Really not happy right now, its not like the car is ruined, but starting with a brand new car it should be easier than this.

imported_DetailDan
03-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I agree with Thomas. 8 oz. 70% IPA with 24 oz. water= 32oz of 17.5% IPA solution.

chris03tl
03-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Well, things just got a little more complicated.

What looked like haziness actually seems to be micromarring. How, I do not know. New clean pads, new clean towels, etc. In the sun it looks hologramed, but since I havent hit it with a rotary, and nothing more aggressive than P1, Im not sure how it happened.

Now the big question is how I can get rid of it. I hit a small section with some more P1, did a quick pass back and forth. Wherever the P1 came off easily, it looks good. Where it did not, it looks "micromarred".

I wanted the car done this weekend, doesnt look like its going to happen, but any suggestions on OTC products to help out? M205 is now readily available so I can grab a quart of that if necessary.

Im really scared that I messed up the paint. Under halogens it looks like a little streaking/haze but out in the sun it looks like hologram hell.

imported_DetailDan
03-26-2011, 11:37 AM
If P1 is hard to remove then you did not break the polish down completely, or you used too much.