PDA

View Full Version : New to Menzerna, can`t decide between 106FA, 87MC, and 85RD

imported_RedlineIRL
03-24-2011, 11:06 PM
I am thinking about trying some of the Menzerna polishes, since reviews always seem to be good. I am not really familiar with them that much, but from doing some searching the product numbers and cut have changed through the years and it kind of gets confusing. So I`d like to get some reccomendations from you all on the product that I should choose. On my darker vehicles, I sometimes get some light micromarring that can be seen in the right lighting when using my lightest duty or "Step 1" polish. Basically I want to get a final polish that can tackle the light micromarring left behind, and give me the best possible swirl free finish before going to the LSP. Keep in mind I will be using a PC 7424, and prefer something that is non difficult for someone to use that is not on the professional level.

I have been looking at the Menzerna chart that is shown on Auto Geek, and it shows that 106 FA has a cut rating of 2.5? With that said, is it more of a comparable polish to something like SSR 2.5? Also, I have seen that 87MC is rated for non oem and aged finishes? Is there any reasons why it reccomended for these finshes only? What do you all reccomend for what I am trying to achieve?

Merlin
03-25-2011, 06:39 AM
I use SIP/106/PO85 with an PCxp

SIP/LC 5" flat Orange

106/LC 5" flat White

PO85/LC 5" flat Grey

It`s good stuff. You`ll love the finish!

extrabolts
03-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Go with 106fa. It finishes just as nicely as their pure finishing polish but has some more cut, which makes it more versatile. I use 106fa with a green uber pad for one-steps on softer black paint to remove micromarring, and I`ll go to a softer blue pad if I`m doing a two-step. I`ve used on it an orange cutting pad too.

Someone attended a menzerna workshop and posted on here once that the menzerna expert indicated 106fa was all that was needed for a finishing polish. Detailers domain pointed me to it and I couldn`t be happier! Also very easy to work with, no flashing issues or anything negative to say about it.

porta
03-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Go with 106fa. It finishes just as nicely as their pure finishing polish but has some more cut, which makes it more versatile. I use 106fa with a green uber pad for one-steps on softer black paint to remove micromarring, and I`ll go to a softer blue pad if I`m doing a two-step. I`ve used on it an orange cutting pad too.

Someone attended a menzerna workshop and posted on here once that the menzerna expert indicated 106fa was all that was needed for a finishing polish. Detailers domain pointed me to it and I couldn`t be happier! Also very easy to work with, no flashing issues or anything negative to say about it.

1+. I guess it was me who Phil was talking about. Axel from Menzerna GMBH (Germany) told me he only used three products: S500 Fast gloss, PO203 power finish(this is not the power finish who is sold in America)

and PO106FA Super finish.

PO106 is superb and will finish out very good if handled properly.

DM101
03-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I use PO85RD. It leaves a awesome finish !!

Street5927
03-25-2011, 05:52 PM
85RD is a great finishing product, especially on black.

Legacy
03-25-2011, 06:32 PM
I agree. 85rd and 3M Ultrafina are the best finishing polishes.
85RD is a great finishing product, especially on black.

imported_DetailDan
03-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Get all three!

imported_RedlineIRL
03-29-2011, 12:11 AM
So, can anyone tell me why 87MC is rated for non oem and aged finishes on the charts? What makes it different than 106 and 85rd?

imported_DetailDan
03-29-2011, 07:31 PM
85 and 106 are designed for ceramic clears.

David Fermani
03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
85 and 106 are designed for ceramic clears.

Actually that`s what I use to think until I recently heard otherwise. These polishes have been around before Mercedes starting using them on CeramiClear. Mercedes actually stopped using the Menzerna line and now uses 3M strickly.

On a side note, I love and use 85rd all the time. Love that stuff.

Envious Eric
03-30-2011, 12:58 AM
if you are looking for a final polish, after all your cutting has been done, then 85rd is your go to!

GBGT
07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
So if Mercedes uses 3M now is Ultrafina a better choice for Geram cars?