PDA

View Full Version : Dupont Teflon Wheel Cleaner?

jiffy
02-12-2006, 06:12 PM
I picked up 2 bottles of Dupont Teflon Wheel Cleaner today at the auto store (its on sale BOGO, ~$6). The last cleaner I used was Eagle One A2z, which I thought was great (~$6).

Does anyone have any input on the Dupont stuff? I`m wondering if I should just keep it or return it for some more A2z.

joyriide1113
02-12-2006, 06:15 PM
A2Z is really strong. I don`t know the strength of dupont, but if I were you, I wouldn;t get into using a wheelcleaner weekly. Sounds like overkill and waste of money.

Since its over the counter, it really should be all that dangerous though. Follow the directions and give us some feedback.

Sherman8r44
02-12-2006, 07:11 PM
I`ve used the Dupont--it`s pretty weak. But then again I tried EO AWC (new version of A2Z) and that wasn`t exactly spray on/rinse off. If you`re using a brush and doing this often, you might as well go with just soap and water...better for your wheels and for your wallet.

joe.p
02-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I presoak with a wheel cleaner then use a wheel brush and car shampoo with the hottest water available. Using hot water after a presoak will make your life much easier when cleaning up wheels with heavy break dust in weekly wheel wash.

I started the hot water routine when sherman thought i shouldn`t be using strong wheel cleaners weekly :bigups to sherman..

Sherman8r44
02-12-2006, 09:19 PM
No problem! I never thought of using hot water though, I have to try that. :yes:
:thanks Joe

jiffy
02-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Hmm, well since sherman said its pretty weak, I`m thinking about returning it. I do have some "purple power" degreaser that I can dilute and use on the wheels occasionally though, unless that is a bad idea.

When I was my car I use a brush and car soap to do the wheels. I only use a wheel cleaner when they are real dirty (like right now in the winter when I can`t wash as often without my hands freezing).

BLUELINE 1
02-15-2006, 10:15 PM
NO NO NO don`t use purple power on your wheels! If you clean them once a week it shouldn`t take more then some soap and water. If you have some build up use a cleaner that is for wheels. If the Dupont isn`t strong enough spray it on twice or use another type of wheel cleaner, but please not purple power. Purple Power is way to strong IMO!

Sherman8r44
02-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Jiffy, what kind of wax or sealant do you use on your car? If you have a polymer sealant, put a coat or two (12-24 hours after the first coat) of sealant on the wheels (as long as they`re clean first). The wheels won`t attract quite as much dust and will be much easier to clean off with soap and water.

If you don`t have any polymer sealant and you don`t want to buy any online, a very nice solution is to reapply Mothers FX Spray Wax after every wash. It repels brake dust too (to an extent, of course) and it is VERY slick, which makes future washing easy. Plus, it can be applied to a wet wheel after cleaning and it is only $6 at Pepboys for a 24oz. bottle. :bigups

Blueline, what if he makes a really weak dilution of Purple Power for occasional "starting from scratch" cleaning?

BLUELINE 1
02-16-2006, 08:51 AM
I`ve used Purlpe Power in the past, and it is super strong stuff. I wouldn`t use it at any dilution for cleaning wheels. IMO it`s not a safe product for wheels or your health. Thats just a bad habbit to start. If you use it on anything use it on the engine. I know there has been a lot of negative talk about simple green in the past, but IMO if you are going to use one or the other as an APC then SG is much safer. When cleaning your wheels I would only recommend using a product that is for that purpose. Then you can apply a dressing for protection.

crazydavy
02-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Hmm, well since sherman said its pretty weak, I`m thinking about returning it. I do have some "purple power" degreaser that I can dilute and use on the wheels occasionally though, unless that is a bad idea.

When I was my car I use a brush and car soap to do the wheels. I only use a wheel cleaner when they are real dirty (like right now in the winter when I can`t wash as often without my hands freezing).

Use hot or warm water, and in the winter, I use a pair of Playtex gloves, or another brand that is thicker.