PDA

View Full Version : Polish on black vinyl trim

spellcaster
03-22-2011, 09:11 PM
What`s the best way to deal with an older polish job where someone was careless about getting polish on trims and moldings? I`ve been hitting a run of these lately and nothing seems to work 100%. Is there a secret to dealing with messes like this?

AeroCleanse
03-22-2011, 09:39 PM
IPA 50/50 with water, scrub with a toothbrush style detailing tool. After than I would apply GTechniq C4

spellcaster
03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
I had to go into FAQ/Secret Decoder Ring to find out that IPA was isopropanol, lol. I thought I had tried it a couple of years ago without much success, but went full strength, rather than the 50/50 you recommended, so will try it again. Thanks for the suggestion. I`m not familiar with GTechniq C4. That might be because I`m in a different geographic area (Canada) with different pro detailing supplies available, or maybe it`s just that I`m a relative newb. Is the C4 a dressing of some kind?

AeroCleanse
03-22-2011, 10:36 PM
GTechniq C4 is a permanent trim restorer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acwE3vwhoRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJLQvcWvIBk

You can get it from: GTechniq C4 (http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c4-permanent-trim-restorer/)

stotte20
03-22-2011, 10:56 PM
ipa is a good way to get rid of it. also apc and scrubbing work well. even if that fails peanut butter takes wax and polish of trim better than most things ive ever used.

spellcaster
03-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Some good ideas here. Thanks guys, I`ll try this tomorrow.

Accumulator
03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
spellcaster- Here`s what I posted yesterday on a similar thread:

Sorry to hear about the trim staining. Some sorta-random thoughts on the subject follow, maybe something will be useful.

-Be careful using abrasive solutions like erasers (both the pencil/ink ones and magic erasers). The danger is that you might "sand smooth" the trim`s texture and that kind of damage is forever.

-An abrasive approach that works for me on black trim (but hey, maybe your trim is different ) is Hi-Temp Heavy Cut/"357" from Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies . It`s never stained trim for me, but I wipe it off before it dries and that might have something to do with that.

-Be careful using APCs and toothbrushes as the toothbrushes can mar paint something awful.

-I`d rather use TOL`s PrepWash than APCs for this anyhow, and PrepWash is very handy stuff to have around period.

-There`s a product called GR-40 Trim Cleaner (think I got mine at Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing, Auto Detailing Supplies, Auto Detailing Equipment, Auto Detailing Products, & Auto Detailing Accessories for all your Automobile Detailing ) that sometimes works well (but not always, at least IME).

-I`ve had good results with certain paint cleaners, including Pinnacle`s Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, and, even better yet, Klasse All-In-One. ClearKote`s Vanilla Moose works pretty well too, but I *think* that part of its success is mearly hiding the staining (not sure though).

I guess the best single approach I can think of is to scrub the area carefully with an APC or blue Dawn. Rinse thoroughly. Clean some more using KAIO until the stain is gone. Do said scrubbing with cotton or even a "bug sponge", not something uber-soft like microfiber. Just don`t overdo that to where you abrade the trim enough to alter its texture. Note that this can take a while, and I don`t mean just half an hour either Then I`d go over it with a LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., wax or sealant) that doesn`t stain...something like Collinite 845 or Klasse Sealant Glaze. That`s how I treat 95% of my exterior black trim and it can work great.