PDA

View Full Version : Question about the paint

ediot0529
03-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Hi everyone, just bought a new black mini cooper S last week. I am newbie to car detailing, so I went to a detailing store and do the wash-claybar-wax process. When I back home, I found out there is new bird dropping on the roof, so I use a piece of wet toilet paper to wipe it out (Because I thought toilet paper is softer than napkin...) Then I found out there is some mark leave on it. My question is, would toilet paper hurt the paint? Would polymer wax protect my paint from that? Would the mark be removed in the future detailing? Thank you yall!!

Bunky
03-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi everyone, just bought a new black mini cooper S last week. I am newbie to car detailing, so I went to a detailing store and do the wash-claybar-wax process. When I back home, I found out there is new bird dropping on the roof, so I use a piece of wet toilet paper to wipe it out (Because I thought toilet paper is softer than napkin...) Then I found out there is some mark leave on it. My question is, would toilet paper hurt the paint? Would polymer wax protect my paint from that? Would the mark be removed in the future detailing? Thank you yall!!

Toilet paper can mar the paint if you rub too hard trying to remove it. Also, droppings can etch the paint leaving a ring. You should remove bird droppings with some detail spray (Mothers Showtime, Meg`s Quik Detailer, both come with clay kits) and a good microfiber towel. Spray, let it loosen, then wipe carefully. Do not grind it into the paint.

A good coat of wax is your next best protection to reduce etching along along with paying attention to remove then as soon as you spot them.

the other pc
03-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Welcome to Autopia, ediot0529!

Sorry you had to find out about tissue paper`s abrasiveness the hard way.

Pretty much all paper is abrasive and will scratch paint. Tissue, paper towels, napkins, don`t trust any of them!

Keep microfiber towels in your car for those emergencies. If you can`t find a microfiber when you need it, 100% cotton terrycloth is you next choice.

Waxes and sealants might reduce the amount of marring you`d get but won`t prevent it. Preventing evil things from touching your paint in the first place is the best approach.

pc.

Accumulator
03-20-2011, 11:27 AM
... Preventing evil things from touching your paint in the first place is the best approach...

Right :xyxthumbs

But since you can`t always prevent things like birdbombs, using a good LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., wax or sealant) that resists such stuff can be a good idea. And some LSPs are a lot better in this regard than others.

And yeah, Welcome to Autopia, ediot0529!

Liquid_Table
03-20-2011, 01:45 PM
All papers are made from wood. Even the softest of papers still contain sharp enough wood pulp to scratch paint, glass and other surfaces. Just like you should never clean your glasses with paper towels or toilet paper, you should never use these products on paint. High thread-count terry, cotton, or microfibers are the only fabrics that should touch paint.

Also, grats on the Mini purchase. I am strongly considering one myself.

ediot0529
03-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Thank you for all the great suggestions! I will go grab a microfiber right now and try to clean the spot one more time then! Thanks!

Accumulator
03-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you for all the great suggestions! I will go grab a microfiber right now and try to clean the spot one more time then! Thanks!

Be careful not to rub too hard, even with the MF.