PDA

View Full Version : Best Starter Bundles?

yourgrandma
03-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Im on the cusp of making my DA purchase but I cant figure out what products I want to start with. I was looking at a PC bundle with the Pinnacle twins and two CCS pads, yada yada...

Ive settled on a GG DA however and thus the bundle Im looking at comes with 2 white, 2 grey and 1 blue pad. I think ill also order a couple oranges just incase.

As for polish, I still have reservations about M105/205. It seems that for how aggressive it is I could wetsand instead. So I was scoping out Menz Intensive/Final polishes.

I plan to do a couple of my cars first and some friends` beaters for practice and eventually get around to some pay jobs on the side.

What are your thoughts on this?

Sorry ifIm making no sense, Im rather ill at the moment...:sick:

Thanks!

AeroCleanse
03-18-2011, 08:52 PM
If you want nice starter kits, Adamspolises.com has some nice ones.

Envious Eric
03-19-2011, 11:38 AM
105 and 205 is not THAT aggressive to the point where you can wetsand instead...not even close, sometimes it takes 2-3 passes of 105 and a cutting pad to remove defects.

I would go with this kit, or that kit...

DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=7301&url=detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/PC-7424XP-M105-M205-pads-P438/)

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Menzerna Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=7301&url=detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/Porter-Cable-7424XP-Menzerna-Polishes-and-Hydro-Pads-P488/)

With either kit make sure you get more pads. If you go with the menzerna kit, get some 5.5" of the same pads as well...you will need 4" pads for tight areas such as around door handles, side skirts, bumpers, etc. Its best to have a few of each pad on hand. if you go with the meguiars kit, get some more pads and add some 4" pads

Accumulator
03-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Im on the cusp of making my DA purchase but I cant figure out what products I want to start with. I was looking at a PC bundle with the Pinnacle twins and two CCS pads, yada yada...

Ive settled on a GG DA however and thus the bundle Im looking at comes with 2 white, 2 grey and 1 blue pad. I think ill also order a couple oranges just incase...

IMO the important thing is that you`re getting the Griot`s, good choice :xyxthumbs

That bundle doesn`t sound right to me, but then I *always* seem to think that about "kits"; they seem more geared towards the seller than the buyer for some reason. You do need some orange pads, and having both gray and blue is borderline hair-splitting IMO, at least depending on what paint you`re working.

Even orange pads with a decent compound are kinda mild when you`re using the 6" size; smaller pads, as recommended by toyotaguy are *MUCH* more aggressive.

As for polish, I still have reservations about M105/205. It seems that for how aggressive it is I could wetsand instead. So I was scoping out Menz Intensive/Final polishes.

As noted, M105 isn`t that aggressive. But since it sounds like you want to perhaps err on the side of caution and get something gentle, you might try Optimum`s Hyper (spray) Compound. It`s *incredibly* user-friendly, much more so than M105...no way to overstate it. It`s a bit mild, more like a "super swirl remover" than a regular compound, but it *can* do some good correction.

You sure won`t go wrong with Menzerna stuff either, but it`s a different approach. The Optimum stuff, like M105/M205 is a nondiminishing product (it doesn`t break down, you just stop when you want to or add more to keep going) whereas the Menzerna does diminish (it breaks down so you work it until it has done that).

What are your thoughts on this?

Buy (only) the exact pads you need- several orange, several white (or some other "polishing pad", the Griot`s orange ones are nice too and are polishing pads not "normal orange cutting pads"), and a few finishing pads of some kind (I don`t make a bid deal out of all the differences between gray/blue/red but that`s just me).

Get the Optimum Hyper Compound and something milder (Optimum Hyper Polish, M205, 1Z Hi Gloss, or maybe something from Menzerna). You`ll do fine, and/but after a while you`ll probably be asking how to make things more aggressive ;)

Sorry ifIm making no sense, Im rather ill at the moment...:sick:

You`re making good sense, it`s just a somewhat complicated topic what with all the products and pads on the market. It`s easy to find good stuff but it`s also easy to buy a lot of stuff that`s not quite right for your situation.

Hope you get better soon.

Alexshimshimhae
03-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Looks like Accum got the bases covered. I only bought my package because it was on sale but en mass the savings generally come from them pushing pads that don`t sell as much.

In terms of line, it seems later on you`ll figure out the particulars and nuances of what to use when.. But until then it`s a matter of preference...the optimum twins are certainly (as well as the other new products released this year) seeming to gear more to the weekend warrior/noob friendly market hehe

neighborsenvy
03-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Not sure if you are just doing your car or not but I was told/went with 105,205 and 85rd with the griots. This will pretty much cover any car you come across. Like others said, make sure you get a few of each pad. If you are going to be working with harder paints I would get some 4" pads as well.

Putting that high reving buffer to my car for the first time was very nerve wracking. I sat there for like 5 minutes making sure this was something I wanted to do. Finally I said F it and went on my way.

Accumulator
03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Not sure if you are just doing your car or not but I was told/went with 105,205 and 85rd with the griots. This will pretty much cover any car you come across. Like others said, make sure you get a few of each pad. If you are going to be working with harder paints I would get some 4" pads as well....

And if you go with non-diminishing abrasive products like M105/M205, get a few more pads than you think you need. Products like that need to be clean and dry and the whole thing is a lot easier to manage if you have a bunch of fresh pads on hand.