PDA

View Full Version : Best product for plastic trim on Chevy Avalanche?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jpostal
03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Of my current product selection what would be the best product for restoring the color to the faded trim of a Chevy Avalanche? Currently I have KAIO, poorboys trim restorer, Lucas exterior trim & tire, and some other all purpose dressings. I need something that will not run with about 3 months durability (dealer car).

Usually on trim I use the poorboys, but becasue of the amount of plastic I`m dealing with on an Avalanche I want to make sure I am using the best product for the job.

BTW, it is for a job I am doing tomorrow so I would appreciate any input ASAP :D

Accumulator
03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
JPostal- I`d use the KAIO topped with some Collinite 845. That works well for me on trim and you already have the KAIO.

Junebug
03-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Second that on the KAIO, good stuff!

Jpostal
03-09-2011, 12:14 PM
The KAIO did not help at all...it was badly faded. The Poorboys brought the color back (needed to coats), but it was a bit shiny looking for my liking. I checked out an Avalanche forum and the most recommended product there is something called Refinish Restorer or something...it is supposed to look great and last a long time (6+ months).

Accumulator
03-09-2011, 12:52 PM
JPostal- Sorry to hear the KAIO didn`t do it. Post back if you ever find a miracle-solution to such dilemmas. Glad the PB`s was an OK approach, but I know what you mean about too shiny.

Bsbell89
03-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Adam`s VRT

This stuff is one of the most amazing products in my arsenal. I have applied to a couple of my own cars on the trim, plastics, and tires. They have been through about 2 rain storms and 3-4 washes. They still look black and the water still beads and runs off. It is truly awesome. Only a small amount of product is needed as well. Place a small drop on an applicator pad and spread that sucker out as much as you can. One drop of it goes a long ways!

Forgot to add, this will not give it that shiny/oily wet look. Just a good dark dry look. It doesn`t even put shine on my tires, just makes them look dark and new.

Accumulator
03-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Adam`s VRT

This stuff is one of the most amazing products in my arsenal..

Welcome to Autopia!

"It`s a Small World"-type comment: My wife`s from Memphis and my beloved old Volvo wagon currently resides there with an in-law.

I gather the Adam`s VRT is OK with regard to any streaking in the rain/etc., right? That`s one of my pet peeves with dressings.

Adam's Polishes
03-11-2011, 12:00 AM
I gather the Adam`s VRT is OK with regard to any streaking in the rain/etc., right? That`s one of my pet peeves with dressings.

The old version would pretty much wash cleanly away with the first rain or washing after application (part of the drawback of original formula) Last year we reformulated it to a water repellent formula, still water based though so its not greasy or oily. I recommend applying as usual, then following up with a dry microfiber towel to `knock down` the excess if you have any concerns about running, we`ve had some reports that thicker applications will run when wet... the finish on the treated panels doesn`t change, but adjacent paint may see some streaking as a result.

I`ve used it more than most... I`ve got the perfect test vehicle for the stuff :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Dylanvonkleist/Avalanche/4df0218b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Dylanvonkleist/Avalanche/cc23bcbe.jpg

Heres some of the beading on the rear cladding... application of SVRT was less than fresh at this point:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Dylanvonkleist/Avalanche/02bd2c4a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Dylanvonkleist/Avalanche/2fa8f381.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Dylanvonkleist/Avalanche/80b2fe53.jpg

Accumulator
03-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Dylan@Adams- Thanks for the reply, you sure *do* have a perfect testbed for that product!

The streaking and the need to reapply every few weeks/months are the primary reasons I don`t go the ERV dressing route very often. There was also a productd-transfer issue when I used car covers, but that`s seldom a concern these days.

Oh, and props to you for continuing to improve your product. Getting it to hold up in the rain/etc. is a good step forward.

maxepr1
03-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Jpostal, I have been using Future Floor wax. It isn`t wax at all, it has a chemical smell. It`s more like a sealant. It must be put on to a CLEAN surface. Scrubbing with a brush and IPA wipe down before application is what I generally do. This is the only thing that I have found that lasts. I have gotten 4 months out of this. Dylan SVRT is a whole lot better than ver.1 but it still does streak after getting wet! Not as bad but it does. There is a permanent fix for trim but it has to be sprayed on with a HVLP spray gun. I think it was called gator or anaconda??? Don`t remember, but it does last forever. Or a least 5 years, that the oldest I`ve seen. Still looks like the day it was sprayed. Future can be bought at the big home improvement centers.

Accumulator
03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Jpostal, I have been using Future Floor wax.. This is the only thing that I have found that lasts. I have gotten 4 months out of this....

Glad it`s working so well for you, but I wouldn`t be too happy with only four months. I get a lot longer than that out of heavily layered KSG, or Ultima`s trim stuff, on such trim. Even the parts of the Yukon I did with FK1000P last much longer than that. For four months or so, one might do OK with Collinite 845 (well, I guess 4 months would really be pushing it with that).

lasthope05
03-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Jpostal, I have been using Future Floor wax. It isn`t wax at all, it has a chemical smell. It`s more like a sealant. It must be put on to a CLEAN surface. Scrubbing with a brush and IPA wipe down before application is what I generally do. This is the only thing that I have found that lasts. I have gotten 4 months out of this. Dylan SVRT is a whole lot better than ver.1 but it still does streak after getting wet! Not as bad but it does. There is a permanent fix for trim but it has to be sprayed on with a HVLP spray gun. I think it was called gator or anaconda??? Don`t remember, but it does last forever. Or a least 5 years, that the oldest I`ve seen. Still looks like the day it was sprayed. Future can be bought at the big home improvement centers.

I think you are talking about the GatorBack coatings.

What I have been using to restore trim and not just cover them up with dressings like opt trim restorer is showroom new. It is a dye that re-stains and restores the plastics. They have both black and grey for both types of trim. I`ve been testing it for over a year now and the trim I have restored have still not faded and are still the same as day one.

Legacy
03-11-2011, 03:41 PM
GTechniq C4 will end your trim probelms for good.

maxepr1
03-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes Gatorback is one of them. It is a dye, I hear it works well! The stuff I`m refering to is clear either matte or gloss kind of like G4 but not as expensive. I`ve only seen the matte, and it looked dam good after a application 5 years prior! My clear bra guy used to apply it.

Kean
03-12-2011, 12:35 PM
....I just put an order in for Gechniq C4 last week from Pak Shak. My Dad has a later model Avalanche and (frankly) he is at the age where he simply doesn`t have the stamina or will to constantly apply products to keep the plastic surfaces looking good. Dressings are easier since you typically just apply and wipe off but none of them are even close to providing a semi-permanent solution (not to mention the issue with streaking on the painted surfaces after rain or morning dew). Some of my LSP solutions are also out of the question simply because I can`t rely on the fact that he would be able to keep up the maintenance to ensure they remain in good condition after restoring. ....I also think the textured finish may pose a bit of a challenge.

Anyhow, if C4 works as advertised (assuming I am able to even restore his trim at this point), we will both be happy campers. I will make sure to post pics once my order comes in and I get a chance to get down there to try a test panel.