PDA

View Full Version : Black Mustang Waxing Tips

MatthewR87
03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Greetings,

I have a black 2011 Mustang with just over 7000km on it. Unfortunately, the front end has already been sandblasted due to highway driving, and the bumper as well as the hood is covered with thousands of little white dots. I do not want to repaint the front end because I know this type of thing is inevitable, I was just hoping for some tips on how to mask these imperfections.

I was reading up on Turtle Wax Black Box, and even though I try to stay away from Turtle Wax products, I though that the black pigment in the wax and cleaning solutions would mask the sandblast marks. Is this a good idea? I was wondering if there were other products with black pigment that would do a better job. I have no idea how long this Black Box stuff lasts. Thanks in advance.

5pointadam
03-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Greetings,

I have a black 2011 Mustang with just over 7000km on it. Unfortunately, the front end has already been sandblasted due to highway driving, and the bumper as well as the hood is covered with thousands of little white dots. I do not want to repaint the front end because I know this type of thing is inevitable, I was just hoping for some tips on how to mask these imperfections.

I was reading up on Turtle Wax Black Box, and even though I try to stay away from Turtle Wax products, I though that the black pigment in the wax and cleaning solutions would mask the sandblast marks. Is this a good idea? I was wondering if there were other products with black pigment that would do a better job. I have no idea how long this Black Box stuff lasts. Thanks in advance.

You may want to try a clear bra. It will stop the chips for sure!

rdorman
03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
The front of my BMW was the same way. I used Dr. Colorchip with good results. If those white dots are raised, it is probably striping paint. Remove then with laquer thinner before fixing the actual chips.

MatthewR87
03-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. I`m a bit hesitant about the clear bra because they are quite visible on black cars and I also have some vinyl hood stripes. Its a good suggestion though.

I did a quick search on this Dr. Colorchip stuff. It looks like it would definitely do the job because most of my chips are really minor;pinhead size and smaller. Does it affect surrounding paint in any way or does it come right off? I don`t want to cause any marring of spider webbing.

rdorman
03-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Nope, doesn`t effect the surrounding paint.

MatthewR87
03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Okay that`s good to hear! Was the paint job fairly long lasting? Or did you find it wanting after a few months?

markaw
03-07-2011, 11:22 PM
My brother used Dr Colorchip on his Red, 06 Mustang GT. The results were really good. He`s the manager at the Tyler Ford Quickie Lube-N-Tune in Tyler, Tx.

lostdaytomorrow
03-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I like souveran on my black vehicles. I will be trying fk1000p soon though per Accumulator`s suggestion.

ThirdgenTa
03-09-2011, 01:32 PM
I have black box. The only way I would use it again is if I was going in some kind of show. Its almost like a dye. It does a great job for filling in the chips and swirls but I think there are a lot of negatives too. You have to wear gloves and it dyes everything it touches. Like the rags, your skin etc. Makes a huge mess in general. As far as how long it lasts? Until the next wash or two.

MatthewR87
03-10-2011, 01:18 PM
I have black box. The only way I would use it again is if I was going in some kind of show. Its almost like a dye. It does a great job for filling in the chips and swirls but I think there are a lot of negatives too. You have to wear gloves and it dyes everything it touches. Like the rags, your skin etc. Makes a huge mess in general. As far as how long it lasts? Until the next wash or two.

Thanks for the reply. I think for my chips I will just use Dr. Colorchip since it is a permanent solution. Then I will go over it with Collinite 476s and hopefully the car will look nice again.