PDA

View Full Version : I want to detail my own car like a pro!....or at least try to!

rajrules
03-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I am trying to accomplish a deep glossy wet look and a high shine.

Not too sure which products to buy yet. Here is what I am planning on doing:

1. Wash

2. Clay bar

3. Wash

4. Polish/pre wax cleaner (not sure which come first)?

5. Glaze

6. Sealant (multiple coats)

7. Wax

Does a polish come before a pre wax cleaner or is it the other way around?

What do you think…? Zymol said there waxes don’t work well over sealants. Is this true for all waxes?

Do you prefer Zymol or P21s?

Don
03-03-2011, 11:31 AM

1. Wash

2. Clay bar

3. Wash

5. Glaze

7. Wax

What do you think…? Zymol said there waxes don’t work well over sealants. Is this true for all waxes?

Some might say that step 3 is redundant, the need to wash the car again after waxing is a subject of debate. The pre wax cleaner would come first otherwise it would remove the polish you just put down. Good luck!

Accumulator
03-05-2011, 03:02 PM

1. Wash

2. Clay bar

3. Wash

5. Glaze

7. Wax..

Some sorta-random thoughts:

-Generally any abrasive polishing is done prior to/instead of pre wax cleaners.

-Glazes are generally not compatible with sealants (there *are* exceptions).

-I don`t top sealants with wax; I add more sealant later instead or else simply use a wax (by itself) instead.

GENERALLY polishes are abrasive. They level paint by "sanding" it. Pre wax cleaners are more of a chemical means of prepping paint, and *IMO* are seldom what people need to use except as a base for a sealant (e.g., Klasse All In One before Klasse Sealant Glaze).
..Zymol said there waxes don’t work well over sealants. Is this true for all waxes?

Virtually any wax will work OK over a sealant, including Zymol (I question their motives when they say it won`t work). The Zymols worth using (if *any* are is another question...and a very contentious one at that) are the expensive ones and those aren`t comparable to P21s. I`d much rather use Collinite 845 instead of the P21s anyhow..

What do you think…?

I think you might be too focused on Last Step Products. I`d be concentrating on pre wax prep and the kind of wash techniques that`ll allow you to maintain a marring-free finish for extended periods (much, *MUCH* harder than most would ever imagine).