PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer Thinner question

solekeeper
03-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Hey guys, would thinner damage car rugs?

I had some really iffy dirt spots on a rug today, and tried a little thinner on it and agitated it, it came off pretty good.

(It`s my rug, don`t worry) lol

Don
03-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I would use extreme care and limit it to small spot stains in order to minimize possible damage. Don`t forget to use regular soap & water to remover the residue of the thinner afterwards.

imported_BobbyG
03-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Depending on the material the rugs made from but yes, it can damage it.

Lacquer thinner is also extremely flammable. Pouring it or applying it directly to the carpet will allow it to migrate deep within the carpet fibers and all the way through the sound absorbing material. As it evaporates it becomes a very flammable gas and can ignite with just a spark.

While it may work, it`s not something I`d recommend for cleaning carpets with unless the carpet has been removed from the car and is washed thoroughly with a detergent and dried.

RaskyR1
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I`ve used it to take tar out of the carpets for years, but I also shampoo the area after. Apply to a white towel and rub the soiled area...best to try in a discrete area first. I`m all ears if someone knows of a better products to use, but thinner works very fast and it`s very effective for tar. I`m sure the thinner is not all that good for it, but I`ve never seen any side effects from it either.

The smell is the worse part IMO, and it`s only used as a last resort.

solekeeper
03-05-2011, 08:17 AM
thanks for the info guys. Yea, i used a tad bit on the really rough spots then used a cleaner and scrubbed the whole entire rug.

Don
03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
thanks for the info guys. Yea, i used a tad bit on the really rough spots then used a cleaner and scrubbed the whole entire rug.

So what were the results? Pics??

solekeeper
03-05-2011, 11:40 PM
no, i don`t take pics. i`m not a "detailer" lol

I just do my own car. And occasionally do customer cars (which are already clean)

they usually want a wash, light polish, wax etc.

Legacy
03-06-2011, 03:50 AM
So did it work?
no, i don`t take pics. i`m not a "detailer" lol

I just do my own car. And occasionally do customer cars (which are already clean)

they usually want a wash, light polish, wax etc.

solekeeper
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
So did it work?

oh yea, just used a tad bit on the really bad stains, agitated it with a brush.. then went over the whole rug with a cleaner, and scrubbed it again.