PDA

View Full Version : WW - To Blot or Swipe?

Pages : [1] 2 3

joyriide1113
02-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Thats the question. When drying with Waffle Weaves, do you prefer to blot or swipe. I have been very unsuccesful in blot drying and find that using a slick QD works well. What do you guys do?

CharlesW
02-09-2006, 09:55 PM
It seems that I very seldom use the blotting technique.
Whether I dry with a WW, an Absorber, a terry MF, I still tend to just wipe the surface dry.
FWIW, I did it the same way back in the days when I used cotton terry bath towels.

Charles

cwcad
02-09-2006, 09:59 PM
I swipe. I also know that I am constantly marring my paint. Gotta stop swiping :yes: :redface:

97F1504x4
02-09-2006, 10:20 PM
I actually use both technics. The top of the truck is a real pain to get at so I try and get the WW to lay flat on the surface and then drag it slowly across. I have not had any issue with marring at all.

Richard

Sherman8r44
02-09-2006, 10:42 PM
I`ve found that the WW`s just don`t suck up much of the water on the surface if I don`t agitate it (swiping).

GregCavi
02-09-2006, 10:49 PM
I am a 100% blotter. Blotting IMHO will cut down on marring becuase there still can be residue or debri that is on the paint and wiping will spread it around, thus causing marring. I find it especially important to blot when using a QEW type products because you can never guarentee that it leaves the surface 100% clean.

Greg

joyriide1113
02-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Greg, How much extra time do you find it takes?

GregCavi
02-09-2006, 11:01 PM
maybe a minute tops. I use one WW to dab the surface and that removes a good amount of the water, and then a second to finish dabbing. It goes pretty quick.

Greg

joyriide1113
02-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Do you end with a qd?

GregCavi
02-09-2006, 11:17 PM
I sometimes spray some qd while I dab or just wait until I QD after drying.

Greg

CharlesW
02-09-2006, 11:22 PM
I am a 100% blotter. Blotting IMHO will cut down on marring becuase there still can be residue or debri that is on the paint and wiping will spread it around, thus causing marring. I find it especially important to blot when using a QEW type products because you can never guarentee that it leaves the surface 100% clean.

GregWould you use a WW with any QEW or S&W type product? It seems like those products would definitely call for a plush terry MF.

Same thing with a QD unless you are using the QD on a freshly washed vehicle.
Once there is any dirt/dust on the finish, the WW is not something I would use.

Charles

budman3
02-10-2006, 08:16 AM
I just realized yesterday that the new Foam Core Waffle Weaves seem like it would be a lot easier to practice the `blot` technique. I, however, didn`t like the blotting technique with a regular WW

atticdog
02-10-2006, 08:16 AM
if swiping may cause marring from some leftover dirt on the paint
the same would happen when you wax or seal then remove with a mf
I swipe and use a QD at the same time

budman3
02-10-2006, 08:18 AM
if swiping may cause marring from some leftover dirt on the paint
the same would happen when you wax or seal then remove with a mf
I swipe and use a QD at the same time

Not necissarily. After washing, there may be dirt or grit still left on the paint. I hope that you make sure the surface is completly clean when you wax. Whether you QD or clay or S&W.

JaredPointer
02-10-2006, 08:25 AM
I would have to say I do a mixture, with more swiping than blotting. Usually, I will blot larger puddles if there are any left after doing my final rinse. Also, my drying technique will change slightly depending on what my following process is going to be. Just a maintenance wash, I will dry with a QD and MF towels. If I plan to do a full out clay, polish, seal, then I will just skip the QD and dry with the towels. I feel that the QD helps cut down on the marring issue, as does several other things I have started doing (pretty much overhauling my washing routine).