PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Browser problems.

Pages : [1] 2

Anthony A
02-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Well I finally decided to down load and install Firefox. Now my computer knowledge is basic, no computer geek here. I mostly use the computer for car forums and my investing. I am having some issues with the browser I can`t figure out.

First, the buttons on my mouse don`t seem to work in the Firefox browser. The right and left click and scroll buttons work but my page back and forward buttons do not. Also my button that lets me choose between open windows does not work. Does anybody know why?

Second, the text size is way different than in IE. I have been playing around with the options for fonts and text size and it seems to be better but is there something I am missing? I thought Firefox default setting were ready to go when the down load is complete?

Third, some pages just don`t look right. They seem to have things in different places than when viewed through IE. The pages of some sites just don`t seem to fill out the page right. I notice this on my banking and brokerage sites.

I am sure I need to do some more tweaking to fix these things. Any Firefox users have any suggestions?

Thanks

Bryce H.
02-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Well for one you can go here https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=firefox and download IE Tab. After you download it and restart firefox you right click on the page and click "view in IE Tab". That lets you see pages that were only meant to be viewed in IE, which may be the case with your banking and brokerage sites. The first two concerns I am not sure about. Have never heard of any problems like that. The only thing i can suggest in reinstalling Firefox. Maybe someone has an idea to help you out with those though. Good luck

Don Meschter
02-09-2006, 02:58 PM
After much conversation and consideration, I downloaded Firefox on 02/02, last Thursday. I still use IE for critical issues.I have noticed on banking and financial sites, when viewing in Firefox the page is similiar to IE. When printing financials in Firefox the details are all pulled to the right of the page, and not legible. In time I will be more comfortable with the browser.At this time I cannot use Firefox as my only browser.

Jngrbrdman
02-09-2006, 03:16 PM
FWIW I hear that IE7 will be more secure and fix the problems that previous versions have had. I downloaded the beta version of it last week and have been playing around with it. It is very firefox-ish with the tabs and everything. It doesn`t really matter anyway since I use the Avant browser. It has tabs too. I like the extra functionality the mouse has and some of the other features of the browser. It runs off of whatever version of IE you have, so there aren`t any problems with compatibility or anything else. I don`t know much about any security benefits it has over using normal IE, but I do know that I like the interface so much better.

e-klasse
02-09-2006, 03:20 PM
.... The pages of some sites just don`t seem to fill out the page right. I notice this on my banking and brokerage sites.
FireFox does not support ActiveX applets, which leads to load errors with some sites simliar to what you are experiencing. It sounds like your banking and brokerage sites are probably using ActiveX, which is a frightening thought in itself given it`s security vunerabilities. Not that Java is the end-all-be-all when an applet is required, but ActiveX is dangerous.

Give FireFox a chance... you`ll be glad you did. Get comfortable with it, and then start experimenting with extensions, etc, which really enhance your browser in a way we`ll never see with IE. FireFox has been my primary browser for over 2 years now, and in that time I think I`ve had the need to launch IE maybe a dozen times... probably less. Funny thing, everytime I do load IE nowadays my system flags it for trying to install spyware!! Maybe Microsoft doesn`t like me anymore......

Anthony A
02-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Does anybody know why my mouse buttons don`t work properly in Firefox? I can`t do without page forward and page back. Zoom doesn`t work either.

Anthony A
02-09-2006, 03:27 PM
FireFox does not support ActiveX applets, which leads to load errors with some sites simliar to what you are experiencing. It sounds like your banking and brokerage sites are probably using ActiveX, which is a frightening thought in itself given it`s security vunerabilities. Not that Java is the end-all-be-all when an applet is required, but ActiveX is dangerous.

I will have to look into this.

klnyc
02-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Well, Im been using FF since ver 1.0 and I dont think I ever go back with IE. Its just my 2cents.

Anthony A
02-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I just read the entire help guide that was installed with it. I really like most of the features. Tabbed browsing is cool. I opend my car care folder in bookmarks in tabs and there were 22 tabs across the top of the page. That is cool. I had read some where the maximum amount of tabs you could have open was 7 or 9 but I had 22 little tabs open across the top of the page.

Because my mouse buttons aren`t working properly I cant use the middle click options for tabs. I need to find out why the buttons aren`t working and then I will be set. They work in IE. I also need to down load a spell check like I have for IE.

lonewolf0420
02-09-2006, 04:28 PM
If their is software application installed for your mouse, you might try disabling them. I`ve seen that fix the problem before.

Anthony A
02-09-2006, 05:13 PM
If their is software application installed for your mouse, you might try disabling them. I`ve seen that fix the problem before.

It`s that software that lets the mouse do what it does. If I remove it how will the moise work?

e-klasse
02-09-2006, 05:27 PM
It`s that software that lets the mouse do what it does. If I remove it how will the moise work?
I`m running a Logitech MX700 wireless mouse without software, and the only functionality I`m missing is one custom feature on the mouse that I never used anyway.

If you have mouse software loaded, then you can program the buttons to do whatever you want, within any program (or at least you should be able to). Try mapping the mouse buttons for FireFox with your mouse software and see what happens.

Anthony A
02-09-2006, 05:37 PM
I`m running a Logitech MX700 wireless mouse without software, and the only functionality I`m missing is one custom feature on the mouse that I never used anyway.

If you have mouse software loaded, then you can program the buttons to do whatever you want, within any program (or at least you should be able to). Try mapping the mouse buttons for FireFox with your mouse software and see what happens.

I am using a Logitech to. I have the software in and programmend the buttons to do what I want and they work fine in IE.

What do you mean try mapping the mouse buttons for Firefox with the mouse software?

pogo123
02-09-2006, 09:16 PM
There are several good mouse extensions made for FF that can be downloaded from their site. I`m using the one called all-in-one gestures with my logitech mouse and it works great.

e-klasse
02-09-2006, 09:37 PM
All-in-one is a great FireFox extension... I use it on my office box, which has a crappy mouse.

Anthony A, what I meant by "mapping" was to determine what buttons you want to do what, and program those buttons the very same way you did for IE. Knowing that you programmed the mouse for IE, I bet that`s the reason your mouse buttons don`t do the same thing in FireFox... wouldn`t surprise me if IE and FireFox use different internal instructions (re: forward, back, etc) for the various browser functions just to be different (or legal).