PDA

View Full Version : New paint and how to treat it

kaotikdt
02-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Hello everyone, a few months back I was rear ended causing my vehicle to receive a lot of damage. While my first thought was to part it out I finally decided to fix it and save for another vehicle. Finally after 4 months of waiting last week we painted it and today it is ready. Paint looks great but there are some areas that clear had a bit of run off. After some research and a lot of information bouncing everywhere, my questions are: When can I detail it and protect the vehicle? Is wet sanding necessary to get rid off orange peel? Any suggestions are very well accepted.

Thank you!

David Fermani
03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Wetsanding is the only way to remove orange peel and runs. You can buff it immediately and if you use a wax/sealant that is water based (Optimum Car Wax) you can use that immediately too w/o any harm to the uncured finish.

Isn`t the shop going to sand it?

kaotikdt
03-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Wetsanding is the only way to remove orange peel and runs. You can buff it immediately and if you use a wax/sealant that is water based (Optimum Car Wax) you can use that immediately too w/o any harm to the uncured finish.

Isn`t the shop going to sand it?

Hello, thanks for the reply. Well a friend of mine was very generous to offer his help as he used to work in a body shop. Now I wished I would`ve had a bit more time and not rushed through things (we all have something to learn everyday). I got rid off the orange peel and run-offs, but the fear of the worse happened. I burnt some areas of the paint! Yes, I wet sanded and used a wool pad to get rid off the 1000 grit using m-105. Everything was great until I stupidly decided to use an orange pad with 105 (I used a makita). Now we are back to painting. is this correct? at least that is what he suggested.

My other question is, why didn`t I burn paint with a yellow pad, but i did with an orange. Same speed was used and it was set about 2 (I forgot the rpms scale). The only thing I am glad is that it happened with my car and not with a customers...

Thread is moved here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/professional-detailer-general-discussion/134497-posted-detailers-forum-help-new-paintjob.html#post1427448

imported_DetailDan
03-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Burning the paint (excessive heat) and cutting through the clear (removing too much paint) are two different things. Either way, it will have to be repainted.

Accumulator
03-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Burning the paint (excessive heat) and cutting through the clear (removing too much paint) are two different things. Either way, it will have to be repainted.

Good point. IMO too many people take off *way* too much clear. By the time you can see that you`ve done any damage, you`re WAY far past the "you messed up that paint and it`s gonna fail" point.

My other question is, why didn`t I burn paint with a yellow pad, but i did with an orange. Same speed was used and it was set about 2 (I forgot the rpms scale). The only thing I am glad is that it happened with my car and not with a customers...

The orange pad,while still being pretty firm and aggressive, is tighter (the pores aren`t as big and/or numerous) than the yellow, so it`ll generally hold less product, so it`ll dry out/get hot faster.

If you`re gonna wetsand the paint "flat", you need to have the painter lay down a *LOT* of extra clear. I woulda just fixed the runs and left the orangepeel.

JReed
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Ouch, how long did the paint have to cure before you started working on it? Seems like the bodyshop should have corrected it for free...

kaotikdt
03-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for the comments. The thread has been moved to the professional detailing forum. However, to end the thread here is the result. My friend does not have a shop, so all this was as a favor and he did it for free, so I really can`t expect him to do all the work (I gave him money even though he kept saying no). On the other hand, the paint was not burnt or clear was not cut. It has been very cold here in Idaho, and we are almost sure the paint has not been able to properly cure and clear was excessively soft, hence the problem. Now, as I stated above, there were no problems at all on my procedure neither any problems created on the paint so we did not have to re-paint. We sanded off with 2000 grit and polished with an orange pad and 105 using a pc, and this took care of it just perfectly. Seems like the heat (which was not much at all, but mainly due to the paint not been cured) created some reaction with the clear making this weird spots.

I am definitely glad we didn`t have to go through the whole hassle again. But if you are ever working with a new paint, and I mean fresh, remember to take weather in consideration and the amount of clear applied. Since I was there almost the whole time I knew I could have not burn anything. But always be careful.

Accumulator
03-14-2011, 11:28 AM
kaotikdt- Sure glad everything worked out so well!