PDA

View Full Version : Megs APC+ used on 14 yr old leather - thumbs up

extrabolts
02-24-2011, 09:54 PM
After reading some reviews I bought some Megs APC+ and let it sit on my shelf for a while. I couldn`t bring myself to use an APC on leather. So tonight I was cleaning up my 97 4runner, which diligently serves as my test vehicle. It has (had) tannish brown leather seats.

I grab the Megs APC+, diluted 10:1, and spray on the drivers seat. Within a second or two there were streaks running down my seat and little spots where the spray mist landed. I shrugged, figured I just removed the dye, wiped it up pretty quickly, and went back to look at the bottle. Yep, safe on leather interiors, 10:1. Oh well, good thing it was on my beater. Then I start looking at it and think well, maybe I`ll just remove the dye on the whole seat so it isn`t splotchy. Nice experiment. Then I realize that was not the dye -- it was dirt, grime, oil. 15 years worth. I`ve tried numerous leather cleaners on those seats over the last few years and was just resolved to the fact that my leather was plasticy, cheap, old, and cracked. I kept buying different leather cremes seeking one that would not be as greasy. It turns out all along the cleaners just were not cutting it -- my leather was filthy and I didn`t even know it. Now I wonder if all of those different conditioners I`ve tried were better than I thought.

After 8 oz of Megs APC+, an hour worth of scrubbing, and a bit of being light-headed from not paying attention to the fact that my garage doors were already closed, my tan / brown leather seats are light tan again. And they are soft! Not oily or slick. They have a dull look to them rather than being shiny. Huge difference. I`m letting them dry out overnight and will condition them tomorrow with some decently recomended stuff that I almost threw in the trash after being disappointed with it. Perhaps its better than I thought.

So thumbs up to Megs APC+. I probably won`t use it every maintenance wash since it is so strong, but definitely annually with my full detail. Anyone using it frequently on the same leather without issue?