PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Removal on High Gloss Plastic?

Shakeystevo
02-24-2011, 04:07 AM
Hey everyone.

I am new to the detailing scene having just bought a new Audi, so I am keen to keep it in top condition :thumb:

Already I have my first issue :bawling:

The car’s front grill is high gloss plastic (black piano type, which can be found on TV surrounds etc..) I have managed to get some small scratches/swirls on it, not sure how! They aren’t deep, it’s relatively smooth when I run my finger across them. They don’t look the best tho as the gloss aspect has faded so it looks horrible.

I have been told to use Meguiars 205 or Novus 2. However, I am a total novice in this area and wasn’t sure if these products are suitable for high gloss plastics.

Has anyone used these products, or different ones specifically on high gloss plastic to remove/hide scratches??

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

Shakey

jfelbab
02-24-2011, 08:31 AM
I`d start by using something much milder than 205. My experience with the black "Piano gloss" TV facia and speaker enclosures is that they mar easily. All but the mildest polish leave more marring or swirls. I`ve used Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze line M17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and M10 Clear Plastic Polish with a new foam pad to restore these with success.

And WELCOME to the forum.

Shakeystevo
02-24-2011, 08:45 AM
I`d start by using something much milder than 205. My experience with the black "Piano gloss" TV facia and speaker enclosures is that they mar easily. All but the mildest polish leave more marring or swirls. I`ve used Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze line M17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and M10 Clear Plastic Polish with a new foam pad to restore these with success.

And WELCOME to the forum.

Thanks jfelbab :)

Thats another product to add to the list lol it`s growing everyday.

This is were I get confused. Everyone has a different product to use lol.

So you have used these products on this type of plastic with good success?

Cheers

Alfisti
02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I`ve used this with great success:

http://mothers.com/02_products/product/images/07250.jpg

From website:

Designed to quickly and safely restore, maintain and protect all types of smooth, shiny plastic and acrylic headlights to crystal clarity. Mothers® PowerBall 4Lights® Headlight Restoration Kit easily cleans away yellowing and stains, and even buffs out unsightly hairline scratches, smudges, and flaws in a single step. The included PowerPlastic® Polish restores crystal clarity; leaving a tough protective oxidation inhibiting polymer layer to guard against future degradation from the elements.

Mothers® PowerBall 4Lights Headlight Restoration Kit (http://mothers.com/02_products/07250.html)

Shakeystevo
02-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks for that.

Am a bit sceptical about using products that state uses for clear plastics as am unsure about how they affect the glossy black plastics. Unless people have used them for this and know it doesn`t have any negative effects...

Cheers

Alfisti
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
It also states "all types of smooth, shiny plastic". ;)

The only thing you need to check is that the black plastic isn`t just painted black, in which case you`d want to use a paint polish.

Shakeystevo
02-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Ahh ok, missed that bit lol. I`ll have a good read on it.

I`ll be honest I don`t know how these high gloss grilles are made. I thought it was just highly polished black plastic....

Alfisti
02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Which model Audi is it?

Shakeystevo
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM
It`s a A1 s line

Alfisti
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Some other Audi models have the slats of the grille painted high-gloss black so the A1 may be the same. If you can`t tell, contact the dealership and speak to someone who knows, generally someone in Parts.