PDA

View Full Version : Gtechniq P1 recommended pads

chris03tl
02-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Any recommendations on polishing pads for use with P1? I know GTech has their own setup, but I was wondering if there were any less expensive and US available alternatives.

Im assuming Lake Country, but couldnt figure out exactly what colors or series (Kompressor, Hydro, etc).

The P1 is going onto a brand new car, so there should be minimal correct required.

Legacy
02-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Have you considerd P2 since it`s a new car? =chris01i30;1425135]Any recommendations on polishing pads for use with P1? I know GTech has their own setup, but I was wondering if there were any less expensive and US available alternatives.

Im assuming Lake Country, but couldnt figure out exactly what colors or series (Kompressor, Hydro, etc).

The P1 is going onto a brand new car, so there should be minimal correct required.[/QUOTE]

AeroCleanse
02-21-2011, 10:25 PM
I`m moving towards the Hexlogic pads myself.

I use a wool pad and the Hex white pad.

Legacy
02-21-2011, 10:54 PM
How does it compare to the Kompressor pads?

AeroCleanse
02-21-2011, 11:02 PM
How does it compare to the Kompressor pads?

Honestly, I bought the whole Kompressor pad kit when they first came out. I don`t like them at all. I like the LC CCS pads and the Hexlogic pads.

Legacy
02-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Are those K pads 6" or 7"?
Honestly, I bought the whole Kompressor pad kit when they first came out. I don`t like them at all. I like the LC CCS pads and the Hexlogic pads.

AeroCleanse
02-21-2011, 11:42 PM
I have the 7" pads

chris03tl
02-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Actually that has me a little confused.....what is the more gentle.product.......p1 or p2?

The descriptions seem vague to that point.

Thomas Dekany
02-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Actually that has me a little confused.....what is the more gentle.product.......p1 or p2?

The descriptions seem vague to that point.

P2 is the more gentle polish, Although I haven`t used either. Just received P1

chris03tl
02-22-2011, 08:56 AM

So P2 (Ill order some P1 as well just in case) + white hex pad for a new car? I figure Ill order a black finishing pad as well, if I have to use P1 Id rather start it with the most gentle pad I can.

Also, all the videos I see of application are using smaller (4" diameter) pads.....Ive usually reserved the 4" pads for bumpers, hard to reach spots, etc but aside from more passes in the same size area, are there any disadvantages to the 4" size? I know it might take a little longer but Ive usually had better success removing swirls/scuffs with the 4" probably because of the concentrated area.

AeroCleanse
02-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I would use P1 and a white hex pad. I think P2 was originally developed for marine paint. Always start with the least aggressive pad if your not sure. All the videos I have seen are using the larger GTechniq pads, which you can find at Polishing // G|Techniq (http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/polishing/p1-nanocomposite-polish/)

chris03tl
02-24-2011, 08:04 AM
I saw their hotswap system, but I thought it was for rotary only....Ill be using a PC. Their pads are pretty large as well (almost 8" diameter), I thought that might get out of hand quickly. Ive used 6" and 4" pads before, and I did prefer the correction ability of the 4" over the 6", it just seemed to do more work faster even though I needed more passes across the same panel size.

AeroCleanse
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
I saw their hotswap system, but I thought it was for rotary only....Ill be using a PC. Their pads are pretty large as well (almost 8" diameter), I thought that might get out of hand quickly. Ive used 6" and 4" pads before, and I did prefer the correction ability of the 4" over the 6", it just seemed to do more work faster even though I needed more passes across the same panel size.

Look at the hot swap descriptions, then mind a matching pad in another manufacturer. The Hotswap pads are for rotary.

imported_DetailDan
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
I would look into some 5.5" pads. I have P1 and P2, but have only used P1 so far.

Legacy
02-24-2011, 08:18 PM
I would look into some 5.5" pads. I have P1 and P2, but have only used P1 so far.If your using a DA, P1 and a 5.5" purple foam wool pad will knock out 1500 grit marks. You will need to finish down with P2 and a white pad. For light correction P2 and a white pad will work.