PDA

View Full Version : Roof Flashing Damage

Tuning69
02-21-2011, 01:52 PM
So we had a nice day Thursday, got up to like 65 degrees, Friday was 75 Degrees... SO I took my nice and dirty WRX through a touchless car wash, made it all sparkly. Then the wind started. Friday night into Saturday it was windy. Like gusts of 40MPH windy. I come out to my car on Saturday and this is what I find:

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg611/scaled.php?tn=0&server=611&filename=de3gy.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg610/scaled.php?tn=0&server=610&filename=q9hum.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

And I scratched my head going ***!!! :confused:

Today I figured it out. The roof flashing of the car port next to me ripped off and had been banging against my car.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg619/scaled.php?tn=0&server=619&filename=egtkm.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

So now gurus, the question is, how would you fix this?

I picked up Meguiar`s clay kit and Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound, do you think this will fix it, or is it a waste of time?

flickshake
02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Ugh that is brutal! I am sure someone more experienced than I will chime in... Sorry for the bad luck. All I know is if you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, you will not be able to make it perfect unless you repaint whole panels at a time.

08Sunburst
02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Thats looks like its going to be impossible to fix with any product.

Best cheap fix would be touchup, and some wet sanding.

Best way and most expensive is repaint..

Can you talk to the apartment complex and tell them what happened, and see if their insurance would cover it?

If not, your comprehensive insurance should cover that.

amcdonal86
02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Is it an apartment complex? That is pretty sucky!!!!!! Best of luck!

extrabolts
02-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Sorry about that man. Hard to tell - is what we are seeing white paint that came off the flashing and onto your car, or are those scratches to the metal? Pick one of the scratches that is on a flat surface - not the ones on the edge. Hit it with the clay and M105 polish. Once you figure out if it is a scratch to the metal or paint transfer from the building, you`ll know what your options are. If its a scratch to the metal, you`re basically in for repainting. If its paint transfer, you should be able to get all of it, just be very careful and apply lighter pressure when working the edges. The edges likely have much less paint on them so there is a risk that you will burn through them. Keep the pad well primed and moving along.

Tuning69
02-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. Yea.. it was a mixture of both. Little bit of light scratching, and paint transfer. I ended up taking some Ultimate Compound and elbow grease to most of the spots (missed a few) and it seemed to take care of it. Little hard to tell because it snowed like the next day. I really need to pick up a DA, but hard to do without an extremely long extension cord. The clay bar I got is only good for after washing paint cleansing.

Without proof that it was the flashing that caused the damaged, it would be hard to get the apartment complex to pay for it.

Funny thing is, I came home the other night and it was windy and guess what I hear banging around on one of the other car cover roofs? :mad: