PDA

View Full Version : Got the machine - griots garage 6" buffer, now need pad advice.

Marc Hufnagel
02-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi there

I just recently received a griots garage 6" buffer. I have most of the line of meguiars, ultimate compound, ultimate polish and ultimate wax. I also have some 105/205 on the shelf as well. We have a couple of cars, a 97, 06 Dodge, 08 Hyundai and a 11 Infiniti. I know they all have different clears and such, and right now only the 97 is in less than `nice` shape.

Can I please get some advice on what pads I need for this 6" buffer so I`m covered no matter what I need to do to these cars?

thanks!

Accumulator
02-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Damn Dirty Ape- If you *really* want to cover all the bases:

-small backing plate for use with 4" pads (or maybe 5.5" ones)

-cutting/polishing/finishing pads in that smaller size (lots of cutting pads, fairly many polishing, few finishing)

in 6":

-Surbuf pads for extra-aggressive correction

-Cutting pads (quite a few), I like Meguiar`s old 7006

-Polishing pads, maybe Griot`s 6" orange (very diff from normal orange pads)

-Finishing pads (not sure whose to recommend)

-Gold LC LSPing pad(s)

Plus:

-stiff brush for pad cleaning (I like the tootbrush style ones)

-Dawn Power Dissolver to clean pads

Marc Hufnagel
02-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Damn Dirty Ape- If you *really* want to cover all the bases:

-small backing plate for use with 4" pads (or maybe 5.5" ones)

-cutting/polishing/finishing pads in that smaller size (lots of cutting pads, fairly many polishing, few finishing)

in 6":

-Surbuf pads for extra-aggressive correction

-Cutting pads (quite a few), I like Meguiar`s old 7006

-Polishing pads, maybe Griot`s 6" orange (very diff from normal orange pads)

-Finishing pads (not sure whose to recommend)

-Gold LC LSPing pad(s)

Plus:

-stiff brush for pad cleaning (I like the tootbrush style ones)

-Dawn Power Dissolver to clean pads

Thanks for the advice - maybe I overstated a bit, I could tone it down a bit on what I`ll be doing with it. If I wanted to stay with one maker of pads for simplicity, what would you recommend if you were going to do that?

schiddy
02-18-2011, 02:51 AM
@Accum

How aggressive is a 6" surbuf with m105? Looking for aggressive correction technique with larger pad than 4" pads using the griots DA, after making that rotary question thread.

SFCR10
02-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Hi there

I just recently received a griots garage 6" buffer. I have most of the line of meguiars, ultimate compound, ultimate polish and ultimate wax. I also have some 105/205 on the shelf as well. We have a couple of cars, a 97, 06 Dodge, 08 Hyundai and a 11 Infiniti. I know they all have different clears and such, and right now only the 97 is in less than `nice` shape.

Can I please get some advice on what pads I need for this 6" buffer so I`m covered no matter what I need to do to these cars?

thanks!

I use the Griot`s 6" orange foam pad for the polish and the Griot`s 6" red foam pad to apply the wax. So far, Griot`s polishing and waxing products along with their pads work perfectly for me. I used Machine Polish #2, #3, #4, and then the wax and got an absolutely swirl-free super shine! What I do like is their products work as advertised so far, and I like the fact the polishes and wax are water soluble. It sure makes clean up easy...especially those foam pads.

This car had been washed and waxed by hand for a year before using a random orbital and using Griot`s Garage products. These are the after photos:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/CVP71/DSCN0292A.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg157/CVP71/DSCN0293A.jpg

Accumulator
02-18-2011, 12:41 PM
SFCRF10- Glad the Griot`s stuff works better for you than it did for me, and I do mean that. Those *are* very good pads, I just never did all that well with the Machine Polishes (and maybe they`ve updated them again since I last tried them).

That`s a SAP P71, right? Man-oh-man do I love that car :bow

. If I wanted to stay with one maker of pads for simplicity, what would you recommend if you were going to do that?

I`d probably go with Lake Country, but that`s just me and somebody else might have completely different preferences.

How aggressive is a 6" surbuf with m105? Looking for aggressive correction technique with larger pad than 4" pads using the griots DA, after making that rotary question thread.

It didn`t work out all that aggressively for *me* but I suspect user error. I`ve talked SurBufs with a lot of people who are more experienced with them than I am, and all those people think M105/SurBuf is *VERY* effective.