PDA

View Full Version : Waxing without a garage/Closed space. Any suggestions.

pwd
02-14-2011, 08:15 PM
I need help. I dont have access to a garage and as a result am having trouble waxing. So far It has happend twice, 1st two weeks ago and then today.

I get through the wash process up to applying the wax. Got my wax(autoglym HD) in one hand and the applicator in the other. As soon as I put the app in the wax, a huge gust of wind kicks up dirt,twigs and leaf particles all over the paint. There was a soft breeze through out the process, but as soon as I get ready to wax it turns in to a tornado.

The car is 2 months old and I am trying to avoid adding to the complimentary dealer swirls. So I didnt wax it. It was "suppose" to be sealed, so... the protection shouldn`t be an issue just yet. But I eager to try the HD.

Im going to try again tomorrow, hopefully I will be able to finish this time.

Any suggestions

wascallyrabbit
02-14-2011, 10:15 PM
keep an extra mf handy to give the area a quick wipe to dust off anything and immediately apply the wax. should something land on the paint while applying the wax stop and remove it before continuing. also a wipe on walk away type product make be the way to go since you won`t have to worry about removing anything.

RSWIM21
02-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Go to a public indoor garage for a dept store or mall. Do your waxing there.

pwd
02-15-2011, 11:05 AM

:think: never would have thought of that. good idea

imported_Ivan Rajic
02-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I`d be more worried about little stuff, that you might not even see, getting blown onto the paint which you are polishing. In my opinion enclosed space is a must as there`s always something flying around. I`d look into a sort of tent/canopy which you can easily set up and keep the dust out that way.

clnfrk
02-15-2011, 07:07 PM

But then he would have to drive the car there surely picking up contaminants on the paint along the way. Your best bet would be to probably wash and wax the car as early in the morning as possible, as usually it is less likely to be windy during that time. You can also keep the microfiber towel (or whatever you use to dry the car after the wash) handy so that you can wax and buff off a panel at a time. Before each panel, glide the damp microfiber over the section you will be working on next to remove potential swirl inducing particles on the surface.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
02-15-2011, 09:37 PM
But then he would have to drive the car there surely picking up contaminants on the paint along the way.

3 letter solution ....ONR

Sent using Tapatalk

imported_mosborn9
02-21-2011, 12:04 PM
[quote name=`Deep Gloss Auto Salon`]3 letter solution ....ONR

I agree and I would use OCW after 1 quick dring pass and before completely dry I would spray the panel with OCW and then dry. OCW will work on wet or dry panels.

amcdonal86
02-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Well, I did a polish job on my car outdoors this weekend with the Flex VRG 3401. I was happy with the results, but it was apparent about halfway through that my pads and/or the paint surface was becoming contaminated with debris, including bird crap (wiped off with QD spray).

Definitely it started out great, but one half of the car is not quite as good as the other. Next time I will try to find an enclosed garage to work in.