PDA

View Full Version : 1 Step weather seal/strip protectors?

Striker
02-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Looking for a nice, one-step product that I can apply to preserve my door/trunk seals.

JohnZ3MC
02-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Here`s the stuff you want. I`ve been using it on my BMW M Coupe (garage queen) for quite a while and my seals are perfect. 2 bottles should last a lifetime.

einszett Gummi Pflege (http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_gummi_pflege.html)

-John C.

Accumulator
02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
While I do like/use/recommend the 1Z stuff that JohnZ3MC suggested, the much costlier Wurth version is a little nicer with regard to drying "clean and dry"; it doesn`t leave as much residue on glass/etc. that contacts the rubber (not that the 1Z stuff is bad in this regard). Just mentioning it because I like to give credit where it`s due and for Wurth to be any better is really saying something.

Oh, and Wurth also sells a "Rubber Care" spray, but it`s kinda messy being an aerosol; I spray it on a cloth/swab and apply with that.

Actually, I usually apply with a cloth/swab anyhow, rather than the foam applicator on the Gummi Pflege. Once that foam applicator gets dirty (and it will) it stays that way.

Striker
02-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks to both of you. Never used any of those companies before so this will be new.

Accumulator
02-14-2011, 03:55 PM
.. Never used any of those companies before so this will be new.

Seems like the only people I know who use Wurth stuff are the guys who work on my German cars, and *all* of them have for as long as I can remember.

lostdaytomorrow
02-16-2011, 08:42 AM
I`ve been in the service bays of a local huge Porsche dealer and they apply the wurth aerosol liberally to all seals on the doors, hoods, trunks to every vehicle they service. All the techs say its great stuff just wipe off the excess. I personally haven`t used one but I think I will pick up the 1z gummi because I like that application method better.

Accumulator
02-16-2011, 11:18 AM
I`ve been in the service bays of a local huge Porsche dealer and they apply the wurth aerosol liberally to all seals on the doors, hoods, trunks to every vehicle they service. All the techs say its great stuff just wipe off the excess. I personally haven`t used one but I think I will pick up the 1z gummi because I like that application method better.

Yeah, my Porsache/Audi guys use it that way too (well, not on *my* cars ;) ). It`s actually *very* clean stuff, just amazingly so, but yeah...

I guess I just like having options so I keep `em all handy. I do spray the Rubber Care stuff on certain things in the engine compartment without issues.

Striker
02-17-2011, 12:08 AM
So how many wurth versions are there? I see you mentioned rubber care and than the aerosol application is what, simply a product for weather stripping?

Accumulator
02-17-2011, 01:22 PM
So how many wurth versions are there? I see you mentioned rubber care and than the aerosol application is what, simply a product for weather stripping?

There are two versions and both are for most anything made out of rubber (seem to work fine on harder plastics too). I don`t *think* that they are the same stuff in different forms, but I guess you never know.

The Gummi Pflege is the "stick" stuff you can find at Autogeek: Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick (http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-rubber-care.html) . Yeah, check out the price compared to 1Z :eek:

Not sure where you`d find the aerosol stuff, I got mine from one of my mechanics.