PDA

View Full Version : SSR1 or Polish

Pages : [1] 2

inkedup
02-08-2006, 05:13 AM
I have a white w/ silver pearl paint job thats not even a year old. I finally got around to ordering a PC and I plan on either using SSR1 or Poorboys Polish before sealing my paint with EX-P. My paint still looks amazing and there really isnt any visible swirls.

Do you guys reccomend I use PB`s polish or SSR1?

Keep in mind this will be my first time polishing my paint and using a PC...

Also what pad should I use and at what speed?

these are the pads that were included with my package:
1-6.5 Inch Orange Light Cutting Pad
2-6.5 Inch White Polishing Pads
3-6.5 Inch Gray Finishing Pad
plus a couple of Wolfgang 5.5 Orange light cutting pads

Brenton
02-08-2006, 05:21 AM
I would use the Finishing pad + polish. Always use the least abrasive solution possible. If you come across an area, like the drivers door, that needs more, bump up to White + Polish, then 5.5 Orange + Polish, then 5.5 Orange + SSR1--but only if you have to.

My rule is this: Always polish as little as possible.

inkedup
02-08-2006, 05:50 AM
thanks for the quick response

another question...

I have an extra set of scratched up taillights that I want to polish. Would it be safe to use my PC with some SSR1 on them or would you recommend a polish specifically made for plastic?

and could I use EX-P to seal the tails after Im done polishing them up?

JaredPointer
02-08-2006, 08:30 AM
thanks for the quick response

another question...

I have an extra set of scratched up taillights that I want to polish. Would it be safe to use my PC with some SSR1 on them or would you recommend a polish specifically made for plastic?

and could I use EX-P to seal the tails after Im done polishing them up?

Yes, and yes. :)

FWIW, I have found that SSR1 is as nice a "finishing polish" as I have used. It leaves the finsih very clean and bright, ready for a sealant or wax. Also, it will remove any light marring or polishing marks you may have left with your previous polish step. It`s a very versatile polish in my book, and it works great.

Poorboy
02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
SSR1 may be easier to use than Professional Polish as PP does have a learning curve. Being a newbee with the PC , I would recommend using a finishing pad and SSR1 :)

Brenton
02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
What`s the learning curb? I didn`t have any.

G35stilez
02-08-2006, 01:07 PM
SSR1 may be easier to use than Professional Polish as PP does have a learning curve. Being a newbee with the PC , I would recommend using a finishing pad and SSR1 :)

Exactly what I was going to add.

Pro Polish would be a better idea if you had chemical contamination (ie: light water spots, residue) as PP is a very strong chemical only polish (vs. abrasive).

CharlesW
02-08-2006, 01:52 PM
What`s the learning curb? I didn`t have any.For us amateurs, the Pro Polish can be a little tricky to use at first. It seems that the secret is in using a small amount.

Charles

Autogeek
02-08-2006, 02:12 PM
If you`re using a carnauba wax, I would recommend Polish w/Carnauba. If using a sealant, SSR1 with a polishing or finishing pad will do fine (not a very abrasive combo at all).

Brenton
02-08-2006, 02:57 PM
For us amateurs, the Pro Polish can be a little tricky to use at first. It seems that the secret is in using a small amount.

Charles

Oh, well then. I`m typically cheap, so no problem.
Some times chemical polishes stain oxidized or compounded paint, but I haven`t had any issues.

inkedup
02-08-2006, 05:24 PM
thanks for all your advice guys

one last question...

I have a brand new set of wheels on the way. They have a painted finish and I planned on applying some PB`s wheel sealant. Is it neccesary to polish beforehand and do you reccomend any other products for my wheels other than the sealant?

Poorboy
02-08-2006, 07:53 PM
If they are brand new, then i would put 2-3 coats of wheel sealant on them before putting them on the car...but put the tires on the wheels first;)

Poorboy
02-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Oh, well then. I`m typically cheap, so no problem.

You are the perfect example of a person ready to use PP..:lol:

inkedup
02-08-2006, 11:40 PM
If they are brand new, then i would put 2-3 coats of wheel sealant on them before putting them on the car...but put the tires on the wheels first;)

How long should I wait before applying the second coat?

CharlesW
02-09-2006, 12:02 AM
How long should I wait before applying the second coat?I did a search on Poorboy`s Wheel Sealant and it seems that most people are applying anywhere from 1 to 3 applications with no cure time between them. At least one mentioned doing two applications consecutively and then doing another after 24 hours.
Everyone that had used it seemed to be happy with it so it must not make a lot of difference if you wait or not.

Charles