PDA

View Full Version : removing rotten tomato stain from leather

zeenon53
02-11-2011, 12:26 AM
A plastic bag with tomato`s must of fallen out of the grocery bag in my mother`s new Acura mdx. After some time the tomato`s turned and left a black mold like stain in the rear leather seat. I think my father tried using some 409 or something on it which helped, but there is still a stain. How should I go about removing it?

edit:

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/mitchg53/stain1.jpg

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/mitchg53/stain.jpg

Roger Koh
02-11-2011, 02:46 PM
A leather tannin stain removal Kit-TNS5 is available to solve all tannin related stains from tomato and every stain from plants or vegetables, safely and effectively according to instruction.

To remove this remnant of the stains may be simple or it could be more difficult, as it’s now compounded with unknown chemistry that may have set the stain instead; or it may have damaged the leather finish that appears like stains; that need finish restoration.

Show us some pictures and help will be more specific…

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

zeenon53
02-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I`ll get some pics up today.

zeenon53
02-12-2011, 03:31 PM
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/mitchg53/stain1.jpg

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/mitchg53/stain.jpg

Roger Koh
02-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Thank you for showing us the pictures…

A test is necessary to determine the integrity of the leather finish.

Tactile-Feel Test: to check for alkaline exposure; if the leather finish feels tacky, slimy or squeaky – by dripping a few drops of water on the stain area, as well as the surrounding area and compare with light finger rubs.

Absorbency Test: to check for leather finish physical damages – to observe any darkening effect for water penetration.

Depending on the test, we will then decide the following option…

Option 1 – By Penetration, Lubrication & Suspension Agent (Prep-7.7).

Option 2 - By Acidic Bleaching Agent (d’Tannin-3.5)

Option 3 – By Acidic Bleaching Agent (d’Tarnish-1.3)

Option 3 – By Alkaline Bleaching Agent (Bleach-10.3)

The suffix of the above products indicate their pH value; as leather is pH sensitive.

Waiting for your testing result…to continue…

By the way; do you have the pH value of the 409 or something - you may read it out with a litmus paper or information from their MSDS; alkaline pH cleaner could have set the tomato acidity stain of pH 4-5; making removal tougher…

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor,com

David Fermani
02-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Roger - how correctable is this problem if the coloring is damaged? Not saying that`s the case here, but just wondering.

I`ve used the Leather Doctor`s kit multiple times for removing dye transfer and it works incredible. I strongly recommend trying it if you value your factory leather finish. Stay away from 409 as it`s very harsh and could end up permanantly damaging your seat.

Roger Koh
02-13-2011, 04:35 AM
I believe there is still a very good chance to remove the color safely; if one can take instruction accordingly; with good feedback for further instruction.

Pictures do not show physical damages; but am concern about the unknown chemistry used; that may result in the weakening of the finishes with tell tale sign of tackiness or sliminess; different in the water absorbency will tell if the topcoat is still intact.

Assuming the finish is still healthy; I would give this contaminated stain a go with the reliable Prep-7.7 for proven ability to draw out acidic stains. The last trace may need the help of d’Tannin-3.5 and/or d’Tarnish-1.3; avoiding the used of Bleach-10.3 if necessary.

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

zeenon53
02-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks Roger.

I`ve already returned the truck to my fathers house so I will be by there in the next day or 2 to run the tests. I just spoke to him and he didn`t use any 409 on it. Instead he used a couple different leather specific cleaners. He couldn`t remember any names. I did notice while I has taking pictures that the stain is just as soft as the leather itself, don`t know if that helps. I`ll be back with updates.